+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Chandelier 5 arm

I'm just want to confirm I'm on the right track. I am rewiring a 6 arm chandelier. Am I correct that the acceptable wires to run through each arm is found in NEC code 402.3? Theses 6 wires will then be connected to one wire that runs up the fixture, through the chain, with that acceptable wire found in NEC code 400.4? If I purchase two types of wire, is there any compatibility issues? Any suggestions on how to remove old sockets from nipples would also be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Chandelier 5 arm

With the sockets some pics would help. Upload them to a pic-sharing site and link them here or email them (with "TOH pics" in the subject line) to our Moderator JL McDaniel and he will add them. Due to past problems pics can't be posted directly on here anymore. Leaving the wiring question to those with more knowledge on the code question.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Mastercarpentry View Post
    With the sockets some pics would help. Upload them to a pic-sharing site and link them here or email them (with "TOH pics" in the subject line) to our Moderator JL McDaniel and he will add them. Due to past problems pics can't be posted directly on here anymore. Leaving the wiring question to those with more knowledge on the code question.

Phil
    Phil,
    The socket removal is what I am having the most problem resolving. I cannot email moderator as this site requires that I have made 20 posts and I don't know how to picture share. Any other ways to get pictures to you?

The sockets do attach with a nipple but the fixture is from circa 1950s and I'm afraid to use force and break the arm.
    Any experience if soldering would have been used in that era with the nipple? Would cutting it off at the bottom be a better solution? The picture would really help you here. (18 posts to go)

E-mail pics to me jackson_l_mcdaniel@yahoo.com Put TOH pixs in your subject line and include your TOH user name and I will post them.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Here is the picture sent me.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Here is the picture sent me.
    Wire and switches per Art 402 and 400 using list devices should be fine if you get the proper ratings,
    WD-40 might help with the nipples.

I can't open the pix's.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

I was able to free the old sockets from the nipples and the arms are still attached. They were painted on with the greenish antique finish.

I want to confirm the product parts which I am purchasing are not some electrical issue.
    I am going to uses lamp sockets which are reproductions of the sockets in the picture, 75 w 125v .
    And TFFN 18/1 single conductor 105 degrees in both black and white. I plan to use this TFFN to run through the arms, connect with a nut, with another strand of the same TFFN that runs up the box. I do not plan to use a 75 watt bulb, but safety first. Is this shopping list approved?

Pardon me if this question is too simple, but the lamp repairers in my area estimated from $20 to $350 to repair my fixture. Even if I choose to take it to one of them, I want to educate myself to ensure they know what they are doing.

Thank you for any feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Smudge View Post
    I was able to free the old sockets from the nipples and the arms are still attached. They were painted on with the greenish antique finish.

I want to confirm the product parts which I am purchasing are not some electrical issue.
    I am going to uses lamp sockets which are reproductions of the sockets in the picture, 75 w 125v .
    And TFFN 18/1 single conductor 105 degrees in both black and white. I plan to use this TFFN to run through the arms, connect with a nut, with another strand of the same TFFN that runs up the box. I do not plan to use a 75 watt bulb, but safety first. Is this shopping list approved?

Pardon me if this question is too simple, but the lamp repairers in my area estimated from $20 to $350 to repair my fixture. Even if I choose to take it to one of them, I want to educate myself to ensure they know what they are doing.

Thank you for any feedback.
    Sounds like a good selection on the wire Smudge. It's rated up to 6A (720W) so just make sure each run is under that.

Don't forget to ground the metal parts. No reason you couldn't do the job yourself.

I appreciate your confidence and because of it I will give it a go.

In order to ground, shall I purchase 18/1 single conductor AWM 105 degree green, connect to the wire nut with all the other TFFN coming out the arms and the run up with the TFFN which weaves in the chain? Any details if this is not correct will be greatly appreciated as the fixture did not have a grounding wire for me to follow.

Also, any information on how to determine what's in a run or if you can point me to good reading on the subject.
    Im just a beginner, but trying to educate myself. Thank you so very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Smudge View Post
    I appreciate your confidence and because of it I will give it a go.

In order to ground, shall I purchase 18/1 single conductor AWM 105 degree green, connect to the wire nut with all the other TFFN coming out the arms and the run up with the TFFN which weaves in the chain? Any details if this is not correct will be greatly appreciated as the fixture did not have a grounding wire for me to follow.

Also, any information on how to determine what's in a run or if you can point me to good reading on the subject.
    Im just a beginner, but trying to educate myself. Thank you so very much.
    If the entire fixture draws a constant 12A you can feed it from a 15A breaker (80%) using #14 wire.
    Just add up all the bulb wattage and divide by 120 to get amps.
    So if the fixture has a total of six 60W bulbs: 6 x 60 = 360W
    360 / 120 = 3A

If an arm has only a 60W lamp on the end: 60 /120 = 0.5A will flow in that arm and #18 wire will be fine.

In the center connect all the #18 wires to the #14 wire going back to the power panel with wire nuts.

The #14 bare ground wire should be solidly attached to the metal fixture and the arms. It will allow the 15A breaker to trip if one of the wires becomes frayed, which is fairly common.