+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Change bathroom heater from thermostat to on/off switch

We have a ceiling-mounted heater in one of our bathrooms, circa 1970, that is controlled by a thermostat. The room is usually warmed by ambient air, so the heater is seldom used. We'd like to have a simple on/off switch for those times when a little extra heat is wanted. Can we switch the thermostat out? Or do we need to replace the unit with something else?

Default Re: Change bathroom heater from thermostat to on/off switch

I wouldn't do it. If you forget that you turned it on you could burn down the house.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Hi, You need to keep the thermostat but you can add a switch or lower the temp when it is not needed. Is this heater on a separate circuit? Thanks

It's always on the lowest setting. I don't know if it's on a separate circuit but I think not.

Looks like replacement is the way to go; maybe infrared instead of electric coils.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by queen60 View Post
    It's always on the lowest setting. I don't know if it's on a separate circuit but I think not.

Looks like replacement is the way to go; maybe infrared instead of electric coils.
    Thanks.
    You say the heater thermostat is on it's lowest setting? Can't you just set it higher?
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

All thermostats I've seen have an off switch built into them. What happens in the summer when the A/C is on?
    You should be able to replace the thermostat with a new one.

We use 60 minute spring wound timers on our heaters.

Why not add a timer switch rated for such application?

We use them for ceiling vent fans in baths all the time as the new fans are so quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    Why not add a timer switch rated for such application?

We use them for ceiling vent fans in baths all the time as the new fans are so quiet.
    That's what I wanted to do, but the more I think about it and from comments here, it doesn't sound like a good idea now.

The heater is an electric coil with an automatic fan. Turn up the thermostat the coil heats and the fan comes on. The bathroom has a separate ventilation fan controlled by a wall switch.

The heater is mounted near the door so you have to heat the whole room to get extra heat when getting out of the shower.

I think I'll replace it with an infrared unit mounted in front of the shower and controlled by a timer. Maybe a combination unit.

Quote Originally Posted by queen60 View Post
    That's what I wanted to do, but the more I think about it and from comments here, it doesn't sound like a good idea now.

The heater is an electric coil with an automatic fan. Turn up the thermostat the coil heats and the fan comes on. The bathroom has a separate ventilation fan controlled by a wall switch.

The heater is mounted near the door so you have to heat the whole room to get extra heat when getting out of the shower.

I think I'll replace it with an infrared unit mounted in front of the shower and controlled by a timer. Maybe a combination unit.
    The IR unit sounds like a great idea. You will get radiant heat directed where it will do the most good. And the room will stay relatively cool.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content