+ Reply to Thread

Default How to fix a double door that has shifted during the winter

Like many regions, this was the worst winter we've had in 20+ years. Over the winter I've noticed that my double doors leading outside have shifted considerably. The top of the doors now rub together, creating great friction when opening or closing a door. In fact, it is occasionally very difficult to open or close the doors and requires a lot of force. On the other hand, the bottom of the doors have shifted far apart and there's now a gap of perhaps 1/2 an inch.

A few questions:

(1) I'm assuming the cold weather has caused this issue. Would this be an accurate assumption?

(2) Will the issue resolve itself as the weather warms?

(3) If the issue persists, what's the right way to fix the issue?

(4) Is this a symptom of a larger issue that I may be overlooking?

Thanks in advance for any and all guidance on this.

Default Re: How to fix a double door that has shifted during the winter

Quote Originally Posted by karlteistor View Post
    Like many regions, this was the worst winter we've had in 20+ years. Over the winter I've noticed that my double doors leading outside have shifted considerably. The top of the doors now rub together, creating great friction when opening or closing a door. In fact, it is occasionally very difficult to open or close the doors and requires a lot of force. On the other hand, the bottom of the doors have shifted far apart and there's now a gap of perhaps 1/2 an inch.

A few questions:

(1) I'm assuming the cold weather has caused this issue. Would this be an accurate assumption?

(2) Will the issue resolve itself as the weather warms?

(3) If the issue persists, what's the right way to fix the issue?

(4) Is this a symptom of a larger issue that I may be overlooking?

Thanks in advance for any and all guidance on this.
    1 - All doors, particularly wood, will expand and contract with seasonal temperature and humidity changes.

2 - It is likely that the majority of the issue will resolve itself as the season changes, however, it is also likely that your hinges could have loosened. Carefully hand tighten the hinge screws into both the jamb and the door. Lift up on the door as you do to take the strain off the hinge/screws, making them easier to tighten and less likely to strip.

3 - Persistent binding will likely be associated with structural movement. This doesn't necessarily mean you have issues though. In times of dry weather, the ground dries out and contracts. During wet and cold, the ground expands and heaves. All this happens naturally from season to season. Where you can start seeing structural issues is during long periods of either, followed by the other, meaning if you've had 3 dry years and now you're having a wet one, the ground is going to absorb a lot of moisture and heave accordingly. Conversely, if it's been wet a few years and now it's severe drought, you can bet the ground is sinking. This kind of movement will be noticeable in doors throughout the house and likely some cracking walls and possibly foundations.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Another cause of this type of problem is an improperly flashed door that has allow water to get to the sill.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

If water did get to the sill of the frame, how would that have caused the shift? If this was the issue, what would be the fix? It looks like part of the caulking around the door may not be sealed, allowing water in.

It usually requires jacking up the area and replacing rotted wood, installing proper falshing which can mean removing the door unit. Sometimes you can jack up the door unit, replace the rotted wood, install flashing and lower the door unit down on it.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Default Home Repair Knoxville

Home Repair Knoxville