+ Reply to Thread

Default Can I reuse windows removed from one part of the house and install in another

Hi everyone, I bought a house 3 years ago and it has all brand new dual pane windows. Their placement in the house is not optimal though. So I wanted to remove a few windows and patch up the wall and install them for better impact at another part of the house. Is this possible? Most people tend to replace all house windows so I am not seeing any posts related to reusing them. Any tips on how to make sure removal is done in a way that can allow for reuse. Thank you.

Default Re: Can I reuse windows removed from one part of the house and install in another

i assume that the windows you want to move are replacement windows. if this is the case, it can be done but you will have to either make or purchase an exterior flange to seal the sheathing to the windows you want to install. if you know the manufacturer of the windows that are currently there then you can probably order a flange for them if they're about 3 years old.

if you decide to do it without flanges you can build your window frame. install your windows. cut back your siding for your exterior trim. install ice and water shield over the sheathing and onto the part of the window that will be hidden by the exterior trim. install the exterior trim. caulk the gap between the trim and the window and you should be good to go.

Default Re: Can I reuse windows removed from one part of the house and install in another

Yes you can do it and MLB's answer is a typical way of doing so.

There's no great difficulty in salvaging windows for reuse. Your rearrangement plan could, however, run afoul of the egress requirements of the life safety code, If it results in smaller windows openings in a room.

Of course, you can do it. It is easy to replace double pane windows. The only problem with them is that they are not well suited for hot climates. And while fixing it again check how the windows were held earlier. Our home renovations were going on last month so we replaced some windows which weared out in winter. We hired a windows installation team from windows choice( Toronto) for doing the work. If they were held together with a gasket then it is a must that you should reuse the same. Because it might be difficult to get the same. If you can do it yourself then take care of this minor details, else rely upon a windows installation profession.

Quote Originally Posted by KShenefiel View Post
    There's no great difficulty in salvaging windows for reuse. Your rearrangement plan could, however, run afoul of the egress requirements of the life safety code, If it results in smaller windows openings in a room.
    It's true. Keep in mind that every suggestion we make is subject to meeting local codes.

In this particular case, it also depends on the condition of the window after it was removed from its present location.