+ Reply to Thread

Default Plantation shutter slat problem

I finished building a set of plantation shutters as seen on The New Yankee Workshop series. One pair of shutters has 14" slats and another 30 1/2" slats. A couple of the longer slats have warped and give the effect of uneven spacing. The shorter ones are fine. I've used Basswood for the 1 3/4" wide slats. Obviously longer material has more of a tendency to warp. Is there a limit to length in shutter application? Should the 30 1/2" width been divided into two panels? Any suggestions to future builds are appreciated.

Bill

Default Re: Plantation shutter slat problem

This is a follow up to my original question.

When we built our house my wife contracted an Iowa company that built and installed our custom interior shutters. They have gone out of business but we were able to track down the craftsman/installer and I posed this question to him. He said with 1 3/4" slats about 24" is the limit. 2 1/2" to 3 1/2" slats are more forgiving. Also pick and choose the best slats from your stock.

I thought this might be of interest since no one has replied to the post.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by whhendrick View Post
    This is a follow up to my original question.

When we built our house my wife contracted an Iowa company that built and installed our custom interior shutters. They have gone out of business but we were able to track down the craftsman/installer and I posed this question to him. He said with 1 3/4" slats about 24" is the limit. 2 1/2" to 3 1/2" slats are more forgiving. Also pick and choose the best slats from your stock.

I thought this might be of interest since no one has replied to the post.

Bill
    So there's your answer "from the horse's mouth": your slats are too long.

You could brace the too-long slats from behind by fitting a stile made to match the slat angle and spacing as found at the sides. It will have a 'sawtooth' look. Make one extra one. Glue and pin-nail the permanent one with the extra one clamped upside-down on the other side to hold things flat in place till the glue dries. Unless you are looking through the slats from underneath you won't see the bracing.

Phil