+ Reply to Thread

Default This house is so small how to set it up where we can entertain and watch tv

My living room is 64" by 81" with a door at each end (the short walls), a wall unit hvac on the long wall and open to the kitchen. I have no idea how to set it up where we can watch tv and visit with company when they visit. Any ideas?

Default Re: This house is so small how to set it up where we can entertain and watch tv

I assume entertaining wasn't the reason you're paying for the space but for those moments it will be pretty tight. I'm no designer but I Know it is a challenge. First I would recommend doing some research where this is more common such as in Japan. By seeing how others live, you may be able to apply some ideas to your own space.

If you can, hiring a contractor to move some walls or reconfigure the space in some way might be the best overall solution but can be expensive. If you're renting, you probably don't have this option anyway. The key will be small and multi-use. Small seats with built in storage, tables that fold up and out of the way when you don't need them, a lamp that can be mounted on a wall or a gooseneck lamp that can functionally be directed into the space rather than having to need space for a table that it sits on. If you have an Ikea accessible to you, they are usually pretty good with compact and multi-use furniture. There are tables that stack one inside the other, small ottomans with builtin storage that can also be used as a spare seat. If you have some handy DIY skills you can even try building your own furniture that is customized to the dimensions and function of the area.
    My advice and opinions come from hands on knowledge...and This Old House Hidden Content

Default Re: This house is so small how to set it up where we can entertain and watch tv

It's all about how you use the space. <wink>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbgOePab-b0
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

You might get some ideas from this site about small spaces or look for a similar site: http://decoratesmallspaces.com/#sthash.y2Cqi1Ln.dpbs

Look on Pinterest under "small space decorating" and you might get some ideas.

Are you sure you aren't looking at a closet?

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Yikes. My bathroom is bigger than that, and I don't live in a big house! (Or at least, a home of 1700 square feet isn't big for my area.)

Think vertical. What can be hung on the walls?

Think minimalist. What is the least amount of "stuff" I can get by with here?

Think light and airy. Look for furnishings with thin, graceful lines to create a sense of openness.

Avoid clutter.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.