+ Reply to Thread

Default Uneven: Kitchen Base Cabinets and Countertop Installation

I hired new contractor on friends reference to cut and install new laminate counter-top on existing base-cabinets.

After he cut the 10' countertop into 3 pieces and installed it on the base cabinets the countertop is not joined together properly and is tilted(is lower at one end).
    The counters are also not joined together and have a gap between them of like 1/2".

He is saying that if a countertop is cut it will remain a bit loose between pieces and tilted.
    He is saying that for proper installation i should have never told him to cut it into 3 pieces.

He is joining the pieces of countertops using silicon and glue.

Is there any way he can join 3 pieces of countertop together properly?
    Is there any way to join the base cabinets together and remove or reduce the gap?

thanks..

Default Re: Uneven: Kitchen Base Cabinets and Countertop Installation

he did a terrible job. ideally you don't want it in 3 pieces unless it was done to get the slab into the kitchen. laminate countertops CAN be joined together with a very tight seam so that it's not very noticeable. also, at the very least, he should have shimmed under the countertop to make a level base.

if you haven't paid him yet, hold off until he fixes the problem or you can hire someone else.

remember the 3 most important rules for hiring someone

1. check several references
    2. check several references
    3. check several references

A good craftsman brings a long level with him, to make sure your cabinets will provide a level surface for the counter top. If they are not, he makes corrections, BEFORE he plugs in his saw.

Have you paid him?

Why was it cut into 3 pieces?

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    Why was it cut into 3 pieces?
    This is my question as well. A 10' long straight run should never have been cut, with the exception of a sink hole if needed.

IMHO, the only way to join sections of laminate counter is with factory cuts, keyholes, and hardware. There is no handy carpenter type that can freehand a cut with a skilsaw and have a clean enough cut to join seamlessly, much less be water tight. Your highly recommended helper was an idiot, whether he was following your orders or not. Someone who knew what they were doing would not have done what was done, unless, of course, there are details that we are not privy to.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks for the help.
    So, it should not have been cut at all..hmmm
    I was initially told that it was just a 30 minutes job that is now being done for the last few days now.

Damage done and money paid already as I was told it was a family emergency.
    How should i fix it now?
    Is there any way he can join 3 pieces of counter-tops together properly?
    Is there any way to join the base cabinets together and remove or reduce the gap?

Listening to : Learning to fly by Tom Petty.

Thanks again..

So now you're saying you have three base cabinets that are free standing, not attached to each other or the wall? Are these cabinets touching side by side? Are there large gaps, like appliance large, between them? Is the countertop run a straight run or are there angles to the run that necessitated the cutting? Is the countertop premolded off the shelf from Homo Cheapo or was it a custom top?

Please give us details as to exactly how these cabinets are installed, their spacing from one another, and why the space. Be as specific and thorough with your description of the installation parameters as possible. It seems that we're missing out on some details somewhere.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

how about posting a few pictures of this.

I prefer listening to learning to fly by pink floyd.

Anyway, how about your counter top - is it going to fly?