+ Reply to Thread

Angry Electrical Problems In My Home

I seem to have a partial electrical problem in my home which was built in 1985. After checking with my power company it would seem that the problem is in my home. I have power all through my home with the exception of the kitchen, living room and dining room. Not everything is effected in these areas. For example. In my kitchen I have power on one side of the kitchen but not the other. The same goes for the living room and dining room. I have checked and reset the breakers with no positive results. Any suggestions please?

Thank You.

Default Re: Electrical Problems In My Home

How handy are you when it comes to electrical? If you know how to work with it safely and do basic tasks, then you can troubleshoot this yourself and likely find the problem, otherwise, you'll need to hire an electrician to handle it for you.

I suspect your problem will be relatively easy to find and correct, though, am hesitant to offer suggestions without knowing your electrical prowess.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Are you able to determine if the affected areas are on the same circuit breaker, or multiple circuit breakers?

If all on the same circuit breaker, there is likely a loose connection or damage wire somewhere in the wiring on that circuit.

If multiple circuit breakers are affected, there is likely a loose connection in the electrical panel, the meter base, or somewhere in the main wires leading to your house.

In either case, I strongly recommend you call an electrician to diagnose and repair.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Quote Originally Posted by ladywarrior4jc View Post
    I seem to have a partial electrical problem in my home which was built in 1985. After checking with my power company it would seem that the problem is in my home. I have power all through my home with the exception of the kitchen, living room and dining room. Not everything is effected in these areas. For example. In my kitchen I have power on one side of the kitchen but not the other. The same goes for the living room and dining room. I have checked and reset the breakers with no positive results. Any suggestions please?

Thank You.
    I agree with previous advice but when you say you reset the breakers..did you actually turn them off and back on? Sometimes they trip but it's hard to tell visually.

Also, the kitchen countertops should be on GFCI protection and either the receptacle or breaker may need to be reset.

Otherwise it sounds like a problem in you power panel(s) and calling an electrician might be wise.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

As a general rule, the lights in your house will be on two or three circuits, each with its own circuit breaker. Outlets will be daisy chained on separate breakers and usually, but not always by room. That is all the breakers in a room, or two adjoining rooms will be on one breaker.

Since you say it affects only half of each of the rooms, do you mean the lights work but the outlets don't or visa-versa?

You electrical panel should be labeled so you can tell which breaker goes to which circuit. I know most are poorly labeled, or the labels fade out, go missing or are never filled out in the first place, but if you see a label that specifies two rooms, i.e. DR & MBR recp (dining room and master bedroom receptacles) and one of those is working, then the problem is at the last working receptacle or first non working receptacle in the chain.

If nothing on the circuit is working, then you may have a defective circuit breaker (they do go bad sometimes) or the CB may have lost contact with the buss bar in the panel.

At least with this information, you can save the electrician some time and save you some money. But do have the repairs done by a qualified electrician.

Cool Re: Electrical Problems In My Home

Thanks to all who replied to my post. I appreciate it.