+ Reply to Thread

Default Advice for DIY blog/website

Hi everyone.
    I'm here looking for ways to document and highlight projects that I do around the house and with family (as well as look for some ideas myself!). I've been told by friends and family that I should put my projects in a blog or website, or something of the like. I think it would be a great way to document and share the things that I (as well as my kids) have done. Plus, for a non tech savvy person like myself, this could be a great learning experience. I've tried blogging in the past, but I'm not sure it's my thing. The thought of a website sounds cool but I would need a web host that offered easy set up, maintenance, etc. I know this is probably not the best forum to post this but I thought other DIYers might know of something.

Any help is really appreciated. Thanks guys.

Default Re: Advice for DIY blog/website

I have been thinking about doing the same thing myself.

Iíve done a fair amount of research and determined that getting an inexpensive hosting account that lets me install WordPress is going to work the best. Everything I hear is that WordPress is really easy to learn and that it has a lot of features that will let me do pretty much anything I want. Like, easily add pictures or videos of my projects, let people comment or ask questions, etc. Iím not real tech savvy, but I feel confident I can learn WordPress well enough to do what I want.

The official WordPress website (http://wordpress.org/) has a lot of good information. It can be pretty technical, and somewhat hard to find what you want, but still helpful.

Another really good site I like is How To WordPress 2.0 (http://htwp2.com/). They have a lot of DIY tutorials and guides on how to setup hosting, install WordPress and themes, and stuff like that.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I put all my portfolio work pics at Photobucket. There is no limit to the length of description text you can add, and you can make a separate album for every project, etc. They provide links to albums, sub albums, and individual pics; and they also take videos now, BTW.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

I've heard quite a bit about Wordpress too and I'm looking into it as an option. In my research though I came across 1and1 (http://website.1and1.com/make-your-own-website). You can get a domain, host and make a website through it. I just thought something like this where it could all be done in one could be useful. I'm still researching though as the options out there are vast. Sharing albums is good, but I think I might want something a bit more that I can build up in the future if I need/want to.

Total Choice Hosting offers hosting for $4 a month for light websites.

Thanks for responding guys. I've had a look at your suggestions and done a bit more research. A.Spruce, I've had a look at wordpress like you mentioned and I also found http://website.1and1.com/free-website-builder don't know if you came across it in your research? I think it's a similar idea to the ones you suggested so now I'm a bit undecided! Daspyda, I had a look at your suggestion but would prefer to use a free one especially if they offer similar services. Like I mentioned my main concern is that it's user friendly as my technology skills are limited!!!