+ Reply to Thread

Threaded View

Default Repair Cracked Concrete and Fill in Void around Wood Post

My grandparents have concrete patio with an awning over it. they want to dress it up a little so we're going to use that Rust-Oleum Concrete Restore. One thing I need to deal with before though, is where the 2 wood posts are (see picture). When the concrete was poured they left several inches of space around the posts and filled it in with white rock and I have 2 questions about this area. Question 1 - there are 2 large pieces of concrete that have cracked all the way through right at the corner where the concrete meets the post area. I think these are much too big to attempt to cover with the Restore so I'm wondering the best way to repair. I would think maybe dig them out, then use a good concrete patch product and bonding agent to lay a thin bed underneath and along the crack and then just stick them back on like you would lay a brick into a bed of mortar and maybe use some kind of wedge to hold them tight until they're set??? But I'm just guessing - I need someone who knows what they're talking about . Question 2, what's the best way to fill that void around the post so I can go over it with the Restore? In other words, I want to make that void go away and look just like it's concrete all the way up to the post but obviously it's probably not a good idea to pour concrete in there as the post would absorb moisture from it.... But is there some kind of product that I can pour in there? Like maybe some self leveling caulk?

Thanks
    Last edited by keharrisuiuc; 03-24-2014 at 07:46 AM.