+ Reply to Thread

Default Drum Traps - Are they Better than P-traps or S-traps in some circumstances

I recently bought a house in Maine and all the sinks are fitted with drum traps. I have never come across these before and I don't see what advantages they have over what I am more used to, namely P-traps and S-traps. I can see that the drum would trap more debris before it could get into the DWV pipe, but once the drum fills, unless it is cleaned out, the debris will go into the DWV pipe anyway. So can anyone explain to me why I should keep these as I go through my house and update the plumbing. For one thing, they take up a lot of room in what is normally a cramped space.

Default Re: Drum Traps - Are they Better than P-traps or S-traps in some circumstances

No reason to keep drum traps as you update plumbing. They are more prone to clogging and can't be snaked. Getting one apart and back together and not leaking may be easier said than done. You really don't want to trap debris, you want it to flow out.
    I don't believe they are allowed by current plumbing codes.

Default Re: Drum Traps - Are they Better than P-traps or S-traps in some circumstances

Quote Originally Posted by ed21 View Post
    No reason to keep drum traps as you update plumbing. They are more prone to clogging and can't be snaked. Getting one apart and back together and not leaking may be easier said than done. You really don't want to trap debris, you want it to flow out.
    I don't believe they are allowed by current plumbing codes.
    Drum traps are allowed by the canadian plumbing code S-traps are not allowed, However if they were installed back in the fifties then as long as you do not touch then they are grand father claused. I do agree with ed21 that i would removed the as they can not be snaked out

Check with your bldg dept.

Bringing the plumbing up to code and replacing them will be a good idea.

Thanks for all the feedback. I had not thought about snaking them, but that is a good enough reason to replace them. They are still sold by local hardware stores here in Maine so I have to assume they are still legal here. I had heard that S-traps were no longer allowed, but again they are still sold here. By the way, if your plumbing comes up out of the floor I would think an S-trap, or a P-trap with an elbow, would be the only way to connect to the drain.
    I am replacing the plumbing in my guest bathroom and will use an S-trap to connect to a floor mounted drain pipe. Same in the kitchen when I finish that remodel.

Thanks again for the help.

MJMathews