+ Reply to Thread

Default Troubleshooting a electrical problem with an jet areator motor and switch box?

Noticed red light on circuit breaker box was glowing. checked areator motor and it was not running. pushed bottom and motor came back on. Later light back on again. Would not reset this time. Pulled areator and check with a seperate power cord and motor ran. Female plug seeam bad and replaced. Now testers says there is power at the new plug but motor or any other device will not work. This is an underground cable running from outside wall to Jet areator spectic system. What in the world could be giving me these problems. Red light does not come on and there is power indicated there. Makes No Sense to me why this is happing. Please help as I cant aford to pay anyone to fix this problem.

Default Re: Troubleshooting a electrical problem with an jet areator motor and switch box?

Quote Originally Posted by BAWV View Post
    Noticed red light on circuit breaker box was glowing. checked areator motor and it was not running. pushed bottom and motor came back on. Later light back on again. Would not reset this time. Pulled areator and check with a seperate power cord and motor ran. Female plug seeam bad and replaced. Now testers says there is power at the new plug but motor or any other device will not work. This is an underground cable running from outside wall to Jet areator spectic system. What in the world could be giving me these problems. Red light does not come on and there is power indicated there. Makes No Sense to me why this is happing. Please help as I cant aford to pay anyone to fix this problem.
    I believe the areator is protected by a GFCI breaker (ground fault current interruptor) which will sense that some of the current being sent to the areator is "leaking" to the ground or water.

The AFCI is a protective device which will trip at such small levels that if the "leakage" were traveling through your body it would trip before you could feel it. It must not be replaced by a standard breaker.

Continue your search for bad wiring, especially if someone dug around the underground wiring lately, which should have a grey outer covering, loose connections or seals etc. Wipe dry, blow dry, clean with rubbing alcohol etc. until the GFCI will hold.

If all else fails remove the wiring from the GFCI and see if it will stay on, if not it needs to be replaced.

Be sure to turn off power before touching any wires. And, be very careful with tools and wiring, if you open the power panel.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

Default Re: Troubleshooting a electrical problem with an jet areator motor and switch box?

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice
    If all else fails remove the wiring from the GFCI and see if it will stay on
    A temporary bypass wire will accomplish this task, which can be routed above ground for the test.