+ Reply to Thread

Default Mounting wood to cement blocks

Hi all,

My house was built in the 1960's and has "cement" block walls in the basement. I was told these cement blocks differ from modern cinder or concrete blocks, but I have no idea what the differences are. I need to mount some plywood directly to the cement block walls, can anyone give some insight as to what hardware (screws, anchors, etc) I should use to attach the plywood to the cement block wall? Just for reference the wood will be used to mount a new electrical panel.

Thanks!

Default Re: Mounting wood to cement blocks

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I got a hold of an electrician and told him what I was planning to do and he suggested drilling through to the hollow part of the cement block and using toggle bolts, what's your opinion on using those? I am leaning towards your solution because the mortar is something solid to drill into, I don't want to risk putting a tensile stress on the hollow wall of the block.

Not much weight from an electrical panel. The methods mentioned will work fine.

Cool, thanks to both of you for the quick replies. I'll be doing that work this weekend so I'll let you know how it turns out.

Hi all,

I just wanted to follow up and let you know I mounted the plywood a couple of weekends ago and wound up using Tapcon screws, it was the easiest way to go. The new electric panel is also installed and wired up, I'm now going to be running a couple of new circuits for ceiling lights and smoke detectors.

Thanks again for your advice.

-Dom