+ Reply to Thread

Default Button panels on wall

Hello! I just bought a 1940 colonial in Detroit, mi. Same owner since 1960. The home is basically original other that major systems.

To my question: in the kitchen and in the upstairs bathroom there is a plate with two buttons and a little light panel. One white, one black button. The plate is the same size as a light switch plate. There is no wording or markings on the outside or inside of the panel. Pressing the buttons do nothing anymore. Does anyone know what this used to do?

Thanks,
    Devon

Default Re: Button panels on wall

You think it only does nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by ddomin2002 View Post
    Hello! I just bought a 1940 colonial in Detroit, mi. Same owner since 1960. The home is basically original other that major systems.

To my question: in the kitchen and in the upstairs bathroom there is a plate with two buttons and a little light panel. One white, one black button. The plate is the same size as a light switch plate. There is no wording or markings on the outside or inside of the panel. Pressing the buttons do nothing anymore. Does anyone know what this used to do?

Thanks,
    Devon
    Maybe the easiest way to tell what it controls is to determine what does not work and replace the bulbs.

But, be careful if you remove any covers, the wiring may crumble in your hands.

Sounds like a nice renovation is in order
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

You may be looking at an older style light switch. If you google push button light switch you should see some examples. As for what it does, you may be lost unless you or an electrician can trace it to see if it's still active and what it controls. I would definitely expect to upgrade the wiring through the home if you still have one of these.
    My advice and opinions come from hands on knowledge...and This Old House Hidden Content