+ Reply to Thread

Default drywall over lath?

I have removed plaster from the ceiling. should I drywall over the lath? Or remove lath down to studs and drywall to the studs?

Default Re: drywall over lath?

Either method will work, what you do will depend on how deep the plaster was and how this will affect reinstalling trim and fixtures. If, for instance, the plaster was 1" thick, then you need to shim behind the drywall so that it is flush with door frames, light/switch boxes, etc. If, for instance, the plaster was 1/4" thick, then you might want to remove the lath so that 1/2" drywall can be installed and still be flush with everything.

Make sense?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Good answer from Spruce. Let me just ad: the new drywall must be screwed to the framing - use long enough screws to do the job.

I personally would not drywall a ceiling over lath and chances of the joists matching the dry wall size is an issue. I prefer to remove the lath and install 1X4 furring strips.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Drywalled ceilings also need no wider than 16" joist spacing. 1x4 or 1x3 strapping may be needed to get the appropriate spacing. There is also metal made strapping specifically for this purpose. The name escapes me at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    Drywalled ceilings also need no wider than 16" joist spacing. 1x4 or 1x3 strapping may be needed to get the appropriate spacing. There is also metal made strapping specifically for this purpose. The name escapes me at the moment
    I believe that it's called "hat track", which is also supposed to help as a sound barrier.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks Spruce

"Hat Channel" can be sourced where metal studs are sold. It's used with "Stub nails" to furr out concrete and masonry walls for sheetrock in commercial fireproof work. Use the fine-threadad screws with it for the sheetrock as the coarse-threaded ones tend to strip out more.

Phil