+ Reply to Thread

Default Suggestions for compost tumbler capacity??

I live in Savannah, GA and am registering for a compost tumbler but I'm not sure what size we should get. There are only 2 of us- but we create tons of composting scraps. We have 2 4'x7' raised bed gardens and about 170 potted plants we are wanting to get into the ground at some point. Our new house has super sandy compacted soil so we'll need compost to rejuvenate our (maybe quarter of an acre) lot before we plant into it and our garden. Any idea what size we should look into? Thanks for any info.
    *I know we can just make piles but the lots are very close here so I'm trying to keep a tidy look and make sure I don't bait more raccoons into the area in case we mess up on our compost equation and things get smelly by accident.
    Thanks!

Default Re: Suggestions for compost tumbler capacity??

Quote Originally Posted by thekarat View Post
    *I know we can just make piles but the lots are very close here so I'm trying to keep a tidy look and make sure I don't bait more raccoons into the area in case we mess up on our compost equation and things get smelly by accident.
    Thanks!
    Green waste in a compost rarely attracts vermin. NEVER put meat or fat into the compost, as this will attract them.

If you have to apply for permission to have a compost bin, then you definitely are going to want a tumbler or other fully captive enclosure, not for smells or anything like that, just because it's "unsightly" to those less inclined. You can probably start with the largest tumbler that you can find, until you can gauge how quickly you'll be filling the unit. If you need a second one, then pick up another at that time. Also, you can use the tumbler to get it started, when it is full and you need more space, empty the tumbler into another container, such as a wooden box, to finish, while you begin filling the tumbler again.

You will not be able to produce enough compost in your lifetime to amend the area you're talking about, you are going to have to find other compost sources. If your municipality has a green waste pick-up program, then you can usually get their composted material very inexpensively. It may also be available at local landscape suppliers. Be warned that with commercial compost materials, you do not know what you're getting, so if you plan to stay organic, make sure that your source is also organic. Municipal waste compost is full of yard chemicals and God knows what else, I would not use it in a vegetable garden, but I would use it to amend landscaping and lawn areas.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Default Re: Suggestions for compost tumbler capacity??

Many good points- thanks A. Spruce