+ Reply to Thread

Default siding the lower section of a gambrel roof instead of shingles

My house has a gambrel roof and we were wanting to use vinyl siding on the lower section of roof instead of shingles. Is there a reason you shouldnt do this? Ive read water damage but the wall is just a few degrees off of vertical. With house wrap under the siding it should be no different than a vertical wall when it rains. Any help would be great thanks.

Default Re: siding the lower section of a gambrel roof instead of shingles

It's your house, you can do whatever you want. However, I don't think it's done this way. Has anyone seen this made?

One reason is that shingles provide a much stronger protection than siding. It's attached better (more nails) and is consisted of smaller pieces than siding boards.

I don't know how your roof is configured, but I've seen it done and never thought it looked good.
    Siding in general it meant to be vertical. As soon as it is not you will have issues with ice &snow. Also roofing felt should be under any roof, not house wrap.

Quote Originally Posted by ed21 View Post
    I don't know how your roof is configured, but I've seen it done and never thought it looked good.
    Siding in general it meant to be vertical. As soon as it is not you will have issues with ice &snow. Also roofing felt should be under any roof, not house wrap.

Well I understand that roofing felt should be used on a roof but it is actually a wall that is angled in at about 5deg. I thought house wrap would be do the same job as it does on a regular wall. I was just looking to see if anyone had done this in the past.
    Last edited by mattd149; 03-21-2014 at 02:15 AM.

The main reason you should not do this is that it will be ugly. It will reduce your property value and that of your neighbors and you could be sued by your neighbors for this.

While 5 degrees isn't much I still maintain any finish put on it needs to be treated more like a roof and that would include using felt not building wrap.
    Vinyl siding is far from watertight and water will get behind and have to drain on whatever that surface is.
    Do siding or building wrap manufacturers warrant or recommend their products on anything but vertical surfaces?
    How about a picture of the "roof"

All of the above (especially about "ugly") but mainly because AFAIK, all vinyl siding manufacturers specifically disallow anything except vertical walls for use of their products. All of the many I have read say this (yeah, I'm one of those who reads the instructions) so you'd be on your own trying this.

But there is a way to make this happen You can remove all the material over the lower section down to the sheeting, taper-cut furring to achieve vertical, apply sheeting and housewrap as needed, extend the upper roofline and boxing to handle the new wider width, then re-roof the upper section. You'll have section width issues at any windows which happen to be there but there are ways around that. Seriously, just keep the style as-is and do the maintenance as needed- that's my advice to you

Phil