+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help - My neighbors are sitting on my fence!

I live in a densely populated urban area. My neighborhood has backyards, but the lots are quite small. So, when I stand in my backyard, I can see 5 backyards surrounding me. My neighbors directly adjacent to me installed an above ground swimming pool with a wrap around deck at the top of the pool. They also installed a six foot fence. Because the pool is roughly 5 or 6 feet deep, this means that when they are sitting on their pool deck, they are nearly at the top of their fence and can see directly into our yard. It is extremely awkward to have our neighbors looking down into our back yard from 7 feet off the ground. I hate it so much.

But instead of stewing or going over there in the middle of the night and slicing their pool open like a ninja, i'd like to be proactive. I need a solution to block their view into my yard. Ok, I could build a 10 foot fence, but that would be expensive and ugly. I could plant a couple of trees, but that would take time for them to grow high enough. I need a solution for this summer.

Any ideas? I'll take any thoughts - crazy, obvious, dumb, whatever. I'm moderately handy and am willing to pay a professional to make this problem go away (although I'm not loaded with cash).

Help!

Default Re: Help - My neighbors are sitting on my fence!

Raise the height of the fence 2' with either another tier of pickets or with lattice privacy panels, the lattice would be preferable, as it won't add much wind load to the fence. You can also plant an evergreen vine to grow over the lattice to provide a permanent block.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

you can get mature bushes that grow to 10' - 15' high. i have no idea how much they would cost or what part of the country you are in but i would start at the local nursery and ask them. i'm sure they have encountered the same issue many times and i bet they have a budget conscious solution.

" I could plant a couple of trees, but that would take time for them to grow high enough. I need a solution for this summer."

Planting trees is indeed a long term solution, but extending the fence is something that you can do right now. There is no inexpensive fence that is sturdy and won't blow in the wind and hurt someone, so you'll end up in litigation. It will cost you money.

If you want real privacy, relocate. It sounds like your neighborhood is too congested for your taste.

Caution: check with your bldg dept, some cities restrict the height of a fence, and may not allow 10 ft high.

Take down the fence and start using their pool ?

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    Take down the fence and start using their pool ?
    No need to take the fence down, just place a step ladder on the fence, climb over and land your feet on the deck, 24 inches away.

When your neighbors are out enjoying their pool, do you really think their attention is focused on your back yard?

Green giant or emerald green arborvitae are fairly fast growing and aren't prone to blowing over like Leland Cyprus. They also have a slightly more compact form and don't get as wide or tall as Leland's. I only mention Leland's because they are cheap and pushed at the box stores.
    If you start with 6 ft. Arborvitaes you're halfway there. Don't plant them right against the fence.
    Check your zoning or development restrictions. Large pools may not be allowed.(I can't believe I said that)

Buy a couple of mature dogwood (or similar type) trees and have them planted where they block the neighbors view. We bought a 10-15' tree to replace one that was diseased. We had the nursery remove the old tree and plant the new one. They had to deliver the new tree any way so it made sense to have them also properly install the new tree. Mature trees aren't cheap but you don't have to wait years for them to grow. Go to a real nursery with experienced staff who can advise you what type of tree will best fit your needs and will grow in your yard.

For us the new tree was slightly less full than the one that we were replacing but a similar height. It took a year or two for it to fill out and widen it's top. We used the tree as a privacy screen from neighbors so didn't want to lose that when the old tree was taken down.

FYI - your neighbors may not love it if you do plant trees if your trees are blocking the sun on their deck.

If you plan to stay, plant trees now so in 5 years it will be covered. Then find the temp solution. Aspens grow really fast and you can already buy them tall, or some generic shade tree.