+ Reply to Thread

Default Problem repairing Delta faucet

I have several Delta faucets all the same style and installed about 10 years ago. The faucet handles look like this: http://www.faucetdepot.com/faucetdep...FeZAMgod-hYAdA
    All have been developing leaking under the handle and I have been replacing the stems and seats and springs with Delta repair parts RP4993 and RP25513.The repairs have been working out fine. Now my matching bathtub faucet is also leaking under the handle. It is installed on the deck of the tub. I cannot find the handle on the Delta site to get the repair parts. When I took off the handle, the stem looked the same as the one in the faucets so I thought I would try that.

Now for my problem. The tub faucet does not have its own shut off valves so I shut down the water to the whole house. Then I could not get the stem out without a ton of pulling and prying and damaging the plastic parts and then when I did, it was coming apart and part (the black bottom part) was still stuck in the faucet. I was getting a little panicky because I needed to turn the water back on to cook dinner. So, I put it back together the best I could and turned the water back on. Other than some dripping out the spout everything is OK for now.

Questions: Do I have the right replacement parts for the bathtub handle (RP25513 and RP4993)? How can I get the entire stem out? Should I just call my plumber?

Thanks!

Default Re: Problem repairing Delta faucet

Did you remove the nut holding the stem in? The stem should be the same but the roman tub faucets had a stem extension and the nut holding the stem in was recessed and it required a special tool to remove.
    John

I removed a large nut same as was on the sink faucets with a big wrench. Is there another one?

Just to clarify, this is a two handle tub faucet with the faucets installed on the deck of the tub. There is no shower.
    Last edited by Lily; 03-16-2014 at 09:48 PM.

Can you supply a link with a picture of what you have? I don't think you can post it here as you don't have enough posts to do so.
    John

I have never used photobucket so let me know if this doesn't work. The faucet nut has been put back on.
    http://s514.photobucket.com/user/jhm...?sort=3&page=1

The pictures a fine. As far as the stem that is a delta faucet and with the nut removed the stem should pull straight up. Try removing the nut and put the handle back on. Use the handle to rock the stem while pulling up on it.
    John

Thanks. I will try again tomorrow. If I am still having a problem I'll post tomorrow or call my plumber

BTW, I would only use delta parts (you can get them free of charge from Delta customer service) and not the after market parts sold at the box stores.

Thank you all for your help. I successfully got the new seat, spring and stem in my tub faucet and only one cut and bruised finger – an incident with a pair of pliers and one small flood. Hint to DIY plumbers – turn the water back on slowly in case something is not quite right.

Thanks for the info about the Delta parts. I made that mistake several months ago and used a generic part only to have to redo it a few months later. I did not know I could get the parts for free. I am going to order some. No doubt the faucets I haven’t had to fix yet will be leaking soon.