+ Reply to Thread

Default Motion sensor lantern (new) need help

I purchased 3motion sensor lanterns for outside our home. Two are on the same circuit and flank the garage doors, one is on a different circuit this light is working. One of the two lights does not turn on when on auto mode. I can hear the sensor clicking but nothing happens. It does turn on in manual mode. This is the second lantern we installed, we returned the first one because we had the same problem. We are using led lights which also work in the other lanterns. I changed the bulb in the malfunctioning lantern with no better results. With both malfunctioning lanterns when it was installed and the light was turned on for the first time the bulb flickered for a minute before coming on.

Default Re: Motion sensor lantern (new) need help

Replace the lantern again, chances are that it's defective.

The rate of defective products made in China is absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Replace the lantern again, chances are that it's defective.

The rate of defective products made in China is absurd.
    True and to make life even more complicated they will also fail to operate correctly if the load is too small, like a LED or CFL lamp.

The OP might want to try ordinary 60W incandescent lamps in the fixtures before returning them.

Moton sensors can be an endless source of trouble. I encourage dusk to dawn with CFL or LED's, which are much more reliable.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

I have tried a lot of these motion sensor and dusk-to-dawn lights and they have a very high out of box failure rate. Even those that do work when first installed, don't work for very long. Just buy regular fixtures and use LED bulbs. A 40 watt equivalent LED only draws a few watts.

BTW, those motion sensors have a parasitic draw. I don't know what it is because it is not listed on the lamps. Parasitic drains are not required to be listed. I don't know if the photocell dusk-to-dawn have a parasitic loss but if they do, it probably isn't very much as it is basically a diode that is reversed biased.

I've had several of these relatively inexpensive outdoor lights/lanterns over the years and have had more or less good luck with them. Even some of them with timers, etc. as well as motion sensors. I DID find however that when I tried to switch to LEDs (in some cases), the lamps would fail. Sometimes not immediately. As someone else mentioned, the LEDs may be causing the problem. I have found some LEDs that exclaim that they CAN be used in fixtures such as these...you have to search for them. I found that when they turn "on", (or are turned on manually) there is a split second lag for them to light. So far they're working fine though.