+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question How can I repair this door knob?

Hello! I'm in the process of restoring all the old door hardware in my house. I have a problem with two knobs that are disjointed from their stem/base. Where ceramic ball meets the iron base of it. (not the spindle. I already took them off the spindles, that's not the issue).

Here are a few pictures:

I have more of the same knobs that are all good and and I poked a little inside with a screwdriver but can find no screw or anything like that. On the two knobs that need repair I can see they have another set of holes that gets hidden inside the ball itself, when properly assembled - I wonder if some kind of a little spring device or something similar is what is missing. If anyone is familiar with these, please advise. Can they be fixed somehow? Many thanks in advance.

Default Re: How can I repair this door knob?

I think I would try a 2 part epoxy. Partially fill the ball then slowly push the stem in so the epoxy has time to flow into the hole in the stem. Use rubber gloves and be ready to wipe off any excess.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

i think i would do the same thing as jack

Thank you Jack and MLB. I will try that.

I'm a little confused about what brand/type/strength etc. to get, there are so many. Do you think this one would work well?

Thanks again.
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 03-17-2014 at 08:30 PM.

I too have repaired many things over the years with epoxy. That's what I would use here.

Jack would do the same thing as I would.

Quote Originally Posted by fixinit View Post
    Thank you Jack and MLB. I will try that.

I'm a little confused about what brand/type/strength etc. to get, there are so many. Do you think this one would work well?

Thanks again.
    That should work, make sure you mix it well and follow the included directions.

Jack

Hello again, thanks to all the responders. I purchased the product I asked about in one of my previous posts, only to discover it's got consistency of putty I expected something more liquid, so it could be poured in through the little gap between the stem and the ball.. Any thoughts? Thank you once again, I really appreciate it.

Hold the stem so the inside hole is partially exposed (like your second picture) and pour through the hole or buy a syringe and fill it with the epoxy and inject it. You can also get glue injectors at many wood working stores.
    Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 03-22-2014 at 10:00 PM.

Of course, using them for epoxy is usually a one time use.

Jack