+ Reply to Thread

Default Hot water from all cold faucets

Hot water comes out of all cold faucets in house for first 10-15 seconds

Default Re: Hot water from all cold faucets

I'll assume you are seeking to stop this, or are you just bragging?

A check valve is needed in your system, but you would need to identify every location where hot and cold pipes converge to have to figure out where. If this is a new issue, what changes have you made recently?
    It's this old house, not this built after your dad was born house.

No changes have been made to any part of the plumbing or heating system recently. My boiler makes hot water for heat and all other house hold use. Then it is stored in large tank. I don't have a separate hot water heater

Other then a cross connection there a two things that can cause your problem.
    1- bad check valve if you have a re-circulating system on you hot water.
    2- a bad stem on a single lever faucet.
    John

may i suggest one other possibility...

is there a location in your basement where the cold water pipe or pipes are very close to a heat source like a heating pipe, right above a furnace, right next to a heat duct, running over a furnace?

if the water doesn't get turned on for an hour or more, the cold water sitting in a pipe will acclimate to the surrounding temperature and if the surrounding temperature is affected by a heat source then the cold water will warm up quite a bit and when a faucet is turned on you have to run the water until the pipe fills up again with fresh cool water. this could even happen if a heating pipe and a cold water supply pipe run up a wall in the same stud bay.

Quote Originally Posted by MLB Construction View Post
    may i suggest one other possibility...

is there a location in your basement where the cold water pipe or pipes are very close to a heat source like a heating pipe, right above a furnace, right next to a heat duct, running over a furnace?

if the water doesn't get turned on for an hour or more, the cold water sitting in a pipe will acclimate to the surrounding temperature and if the surrounding temperature is affected by a heat source then the cold water will warm up quite a bit and when a faucet is turned on you have to run the water until the pipe fills up again with fresh cool water. this could even happen if a heating pipe and a cold water supply pipe run up a wall in the same stud bay.
    So true. In my area, those who have their pipes running in the attic, have a similar phenomena: Since attic temp gets as high is 150 F - no kidding - the cold water pipes bring in hot water for almost half a minute, courtesy of sun.