+ Reply to Thread

Question stain lines in panels

does anyone have any suggestions on how to eliminate or at least minimize stain panels from movement and showing unsightly stain lines in prefinished stained raise panel cabinet doors?

Default Re: stain lines in panels

Wood expands and contracts with both temperature and humidity changes, creating the lines you're talking about. There is no way to stop this naturally occurring thing, all you can do is to try to match the stain and apply it along the visible lines. You have to be careful with this, because the method in which the cabinet was originally stained will come into play here, as will a number of other factors.

1 - If a "stain/finish in one" type coating was used, the stain pigment is held within the finish coat, not the wood. If you apply a stain to the wood it's going to be significantly darker. You have to use a stain/finish coat to cover the line.

2 - If the wood was stained, then you'll need to stain the wood AND finish the raw visible line.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I am currently refinishing a cabinet and I am removing the panel in the door and replacing it with glass. I have a nice cabinetmaker who is removing the panel by using his router along the back of the door that holds the panel in place. I plan to put a vintage fabric curtain behind the glass in my door. There is also decorative glass – some which can be seen through, some that cannot. If you cannot get the panels to look right, this is a possible alternative to new doors.

It is not a good idea to put glass panels in lower cabinets - too easily broken.
    Last edited by Lily; 03-15-2014 at 08:28 PM.

If the unsghtly areas are lighter than the rest of the panel, you can try a wood scratch repair pen. Test for color match in a small area first.