+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grey water

Default Re: Grey water

Keith 3267 wrote It passed inspection in the past so it is grandfathered. I am going to be the dissenting voice
    Be care full I am an old plumbing inspector and i never saw a code allowing a person to dump grey water into the ground. Also an item can only be grandfather if a permit was taken out for such work and the codes allowed it at that time. Also should you later touch that grandfathered item the you lose your grandfather ness and now must bring it up to code. A lot of communities now have very tough pollution laws so be carefull. Who is to say that after the house was built the owner hired a handy man to install a clothes washer drain and he took the path of least resistance just brought the pipe outside and buried it.

Thank you both for your input! I greatly appreciate it.

We have never made changes to the system, and arent going to make any changes to it now.

I feel much better about it, and my position with it, after reading your response.

Thanks again.

bill shack brings up some good points.

One question I have is who is this inspector? Was this a pre-offer inspection by a contractor or was it done by a code inspector? If it was a pre-offer inspection, then it has no legal status. It is just information for the buyer.

If it was a code inspector, did he fail the house? If that is the case, then you do have to comply.

If it was not a code inspection, you probably will have to have a code inspection done at the time of the sale. If it fails at that time, you may still be able to invoke the grandfather clause even if you cannot produce a permit for it simply because it passed the code inspection when you bought the house. That does not always work but you can try it.

If a permit wasn't required at the time the graywater pipe was put in but would be now, you are still covered by grandfathering. That assumes that you are not using any tier 1 or tier 2 chemicals in your house above allowable levels. Since those are industrial chemicals and not used in homes, you are no doubt safe from that.

It was a code inspector, and he did not fail the house. He marked the inspection as incomplete....He did not recommend any changes...it was the buyers that suggested this all be done.

There has been a change of events, however. The buyers actually went to the code inspector to get more clarification. As a result of this, what they originally suggested, is no longer on the table.

It is now left, that we need to locate our dry well, and it needs to be inspected. No rerouting of anything.

This brings me to an entirely new question.....how in the world do I locate the dry well when we have no info on it? There is a vent pipe that we dug down alongside (3 feet in frozen ground)...hoping it would conveniently lead to the tank! Nope! It led to another pipe .... Is there an easy way to locate this? Right now, our option is to continue digging along the new pipe we found, but who knows how many feet that could lead to. I really do not want to dig up my entire yard looking for it....to big of a job and what a distruption to my yard.

In order to get a "complete" inspection, this needs to be done, regardless of who my buyer is.

I go back to my original statement, tell the buyer not to let the door hit them in the ass!

While I can understand their concern, it is an unfair request to make you jump through hoops that don't exist! You are selling the house "as is", which means no promises, no conditions, no guarantees. You have made no changes to this residence, including the septic system, how is it now all of a sudden your responsibility to relandscape, just to prove one way or the other than there is a gray water tank? The septic tank will need to be pumped in three more years, are you responsible for that too? Oh, the house is gonna need paint next year, why don't you go ahead and pay for that while you're at it. By the way, the roof only has 5 years left in it, would you mind? It just isn't your responsibility.

Maybe a plumber could tell you how to locate it. Maybe, just maybe, the plans for your house are still on file with the building department (not likely) which would show the locations of all buried appurtenances. At the end of the day, you're still exactly where you are now, jumping through a hoop for a skittish buyer, who in the end isn't likely going to buy your house anyway. Door . . . Ass . . . Buh-Bye!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Does this house have a basement?

Yes, the house does have a basement.

We went through the pipe in the basement last night, and about ten feet out, we hit something with the snake. Today, we will make an attempt to dig. The inspector has told us that uncovering it is our only way to get a complete report. He has to see it, and it is part of the county's septic inspection.

The sellers on the house we are buying, have given us only 30 days to sell our house....we are now into the 24th day!

Thank you for all your input!

You'll most likely lose the 'new' house, unless the seller extends the time you have to respond, or is experiencing trouble finding a buyer.

There are ways to find buried pipes - call pipe locators in your area. It's not a cheap service, but saves a lot of digging.

Is the pipe cast iron or does it change to clay in the ground? If cast iron, you might find it with a metal detector.

Instead of using a snake, try using a garden hose, they are more flexible. If the pipe is making a turn in the ground, the hose will follow it, if it hits the termination, it won't.

Real plumbers have pipe location tools. It is like a snake that goes down the drain pipe and then sends an electronic beacon out that can be picked up with a beacon location tool on the surface. it does not always work as distance from the sake head to the location tools can be a problem but well worth the try