+ Reply to Thread

Post Low water volume/pressure from bathtub only

I have a problem in my bathtub relating to water volume or pressure being extremely low. The rate of water from the faucet to fill tub is so low it takes a considerable amount of time to fill tub. Subsequently, the same issue is affecting the shower flow. I have a 1970's bath with Eljer dual water valves for hot and cold. I have replaced these more than once thinking this had to be the issue. No luck. All other sinks have much higher volume/pressure.

Can you speculate what is causing this issue?

Thank you.
    Ben

Default Re: Low water volume/pressure from bathtub only

aside from getting a plumber in to look at the issue, maybe the diverter is not working properly. by that i mean it's not fully opening all the way for the shower or for the tub. another possibility could be your pipes. are your pipes copper or galvanized metal? is the water pressure adequate in the other rooms of the house? meaning the kitchen sink or another bathroom?

When the cartridges are replaced, do you flush the lines before putting the new ones in?

There could be a few things that need attention in your plumbing system.

First, the pipes. If you have galvanized pipes, you may be looking at a re-pipe job.

If the pipes are OK, you will need a plumber to go through a long check list, including but not limited to: main water line, pressure reducer valve, angle stops, supply connectors, aerators, just to name a few.

Let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by MLB Construction View Post
    aside from getting a plumber in to look at the issue, maybe the diverter is not working properly. by that i mean it's not fully opening all the way for the shower or for the tub. another possibility could be your pipes. are your pipes copper or galvanized metal? is the water pressure adequate in the other rooms of the house? meaning the kitchen sink or another bathroom?
    Thank you MLB Construction. I have copper pipes and water pressure is sufficient or normal in all other areas of house.

Rube

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    There could be a few things that need attention in your plumbing system.

First, the pipes. If you have galvanized pipes, you may be looking at a re-pipe job.

If the pipes are OK, you will need a plumber to go through a long check list, including but not limited to: main water line, pressure reducer valve, angle stops, supply connectors, aerators, just to name a few.

Let us know.
    Thank you DJ1. House has copper piping throughout. I was hoping to avoid a plumber but may be at the stage it is required. Will let you know.

Rube

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    When the cartridges are replaced, do you flush the lines before putting the new ones in?
    Dear Houston Remodler,

I replaced the valve stems more than once. I turn off water supply, remove valve stems and turn on water supply and can see the water pressure seems quite adequate. I then turn off supply, install valve stems and turn on water supply only to have the same low pressure or flow rate issue.

Thank you.
    Rube