+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grey water

Default Grey water

My husband and I have lived in our 1920 home for 13 years and are now selling it. We had a septic inspection, which was marked incomplete...because nothing is known of the grey water system. For this reason, the inspector stated "Unknown" and if it is directly going into the yard, it is unacceptable. Based on that, the buyer is requesting we reroute the grey water to the actual septic tank.

Is this recommended? I would think this would overload the leach fields, and didnt think it was good for washing machine water..due to lint..to access those fields.

We have no information whatsoever about the greywater system. We have never had any issues with grey water leaving the house, and the yard has never had any saturation issues. There is a venting pipe in the side yard...would that exist if it was just spilling into the yard without a filtration system of some sort?

I hate to reroute the grey water, if its not necessary, but, the only other alternative is to dig up my entire side yard until we find something. Would hate to puncture a clay pipe or something with a shovel, seeing we have no clue where anything would be. :-/

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice for me?

Thank you.

Default Re: Grey water

I'm not an expert on this particular subject, but this is what I would have done:

Do as the inspector suggested, to get the house sold and into escrow.

The inspector has not suggested anything....the buyer is suggesting this.

If you have made no modifications to the septic/gray water system since you purchased the house, you are under NO obligation to change it now.

The way MOST inspectors do their inspections is to call attention to everything, so as to cover their ass, whether said item needs attention or not. If they cannot physically put eyes on something, they note it as such, which is what has happened in your case, the inspector can't see what's going on with the gray water - if anything - so let's just assume that it's faulty.

If the buyer wants to pay for an in depth inspection of the septic system and base their purchase on that inspection, so be it, but you are under no obligation to change, modify, amend, or otherwise do anything to your home, just because a buyer says so. Instead, take this opportunity to thank said buyer for their interest, with the added warning that the door not to hit them in the ass on their way out.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thank you for your response A. Spruce. I like your point of view over the buyers. :-). I think I will tell them "it is what it is" and since we are not having issues with the system, we are not changing anything.

Thanks again.

Sadly, yours is a case that happens all too frequently when:

1 - Buyers want a no risk purchase
    2 - Realtors oversell their importance in the transaction
    3 - Everyone else wants to make YOU responsible for their happiness.

Unless you are literally between a rock and a hard place and MUST sell to this particular buyer, then YOU as the seller holds ALL the power. You get to choose whom you sell your home to. You get to choose which offer you accept. You do not have to take any crap from buyers or their agent, if they want your house, they pay your price and shut the F up about it! If they don't want your house, then they start asking for the sun, the moon, and the stars, and demand that you bend over backwards to accommodate their desires (as this potential buyer is doing ).

Like I said, unless you're gonna die without this sale, there will be other, better, buyers to come along.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Markets swing back and forth between buyers and sellers markets. After all is said and done, it depends on how badly you need to or want to get out of the house. If it is a sellers market and you have no pressure to move, don't agree to anything. If your back is against the wall and the market is slow in your area, it might be a small price to pay to seal the deal.

We have to sell this house as a continency to the one we want to buy, so, there is that in the mix as well.

After some discussion with my husband, we are thinking along these lines......since we did get a little more for our house then we were expecting, we may offer a concession at closing to cover part of the expense to do what they are asking after they take possession. We are NOT going to do the work, because we dont feel its necessary, its not a good idea, and we wouldnt do it if we werent selling.

If thats not acceptable to them, so be it. We did have a second offer on the house that hopefully we can still all back on.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerette View Post
    We have to sell this house as a continency to the one we want to buy, so, there is that in the mix as well.

After some discussion with my husband, we are thinking along these lines......since we did get a little more for our house then we were expecting, we may offer a concession at closing to cover part of the expense to do what they are asking after they take possession. We are NOT going to do the work, because we dont feel its necessary, its not a good idea, and we wouldnt do it if we werent selling.

If thats not acceptable to them, so be it. We did have a second offer on the house that hopefully we can still all back on.
    And this is exactly how you should handle it. You should never feel forced to do anything. Reasonable solutions between reasonable people. Having said that, don't be too quick to help pay for a problem that only exists in the minds of the buyers, only do this if it is what you want to do.

I believe that A. Spruce is right in that you are not required to make any changes. It passed inspection in the past so it is grandfathered in for the future unless you or someone makes any changes to the waste system, then it has to meet any new codes.

I think the buyer is making a mistake to demand or even ask for the grey water to go into the septic system. If they do that, then they will have to be very careful what they use in their washing machine and dishwasher. Bleach will greatly inhibit the bacterial action in the septic tank, as will a lot of other detergents and chemicals we use in out laundry and kitchen sinks.

The end result is that the septic tank will need to be pumped out much more frequently and will end up not only costing the buyers now, but in the future as well. I think if they are informed, they will want to leave it alone.