+ Reply to Thread

Default Sealing a roof on mobile home

Can anyone tell me what is best to seal a roof on a mobile home? The paint is peeling off (looks like some sort of tar and aluminum paint), I really hope that I don't have to sc**** the paint off the entire roof. Is it a bad thing to paint over this? The roof is sort of flat.

Thanks,
    Rita
    Last edited by rittertig; 03-14-2014 at 09:55 PM. Reason: spelling

Default Re: Sealing a roof on mobile home

It's time to put the wheels back under the trailer and tow it off to the dump
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Hi, You should only seal the seams on a mobile home roof. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    It's time to put the wheels back under the trailer and tow it off to the dump
    That's funny. Sad, but true.

Video on how to do it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4EdLeUMDig

Hope this helps.

Any new coating requires that old coatings underneath be sound, so everything loose has to come off no matter what you do. What you describe is known generically as "Cool Seal", something of a tar and silver paint mixture in basic terms, and it is commonly used on old mobile home roofs. Two caveats when using this stuff: Its hugely messy and because of the "tar" content there is nothing which can seal it against bleeding through any paint which is applied over it so don't get any on the walls! Attempting to 'wash off' drips will solvent will just make a bigger mess. Also don't fill the little 'rain gutters' on the edges with this. If you apply it too thickly it will run down into them doing this. It usually lasts 4-10 years based on conditions and works well enough to do what you need.

Phil