+ Reply to Thread

Thread: dryer issues

Hybrid View

Default dryer issues

I hope I am in the right place, If not let me know.

So I just moved in to a new condo and my dryer that is about 5 yrs old has started acting up. every time I dry a load on the high heat cycle it will trip the breaker after 20-30 min. it does not trip on low heat. I have checked the dryer vent/ dryer for clogs. the owner says there has never been a problem in the past with the breaker(not that it excludeds it from the possible problem). One thing I know is that If I disconnect the dryer vent from the dryer I can run it on high heat with out a problem. Also the dryer has to vent the air 8ft up and then 7-8ft to the outside of the condo. And for the vertical 8ft I was using the metal flex able ducting that is brand new. After some research I think it is one of the following a bad thermal cuff, faulty breaker, a bad heating element, a bad drive motor. I think it is most likely a bad thermal cuff, but I want to get some more opinions before I go testing everything. Any suggestions?

Default Re: dryer issues

I had a similar issue a while back. The dryer worked fine for about a year, then would trip the breaker. I gave the dryer a thorough going-over and cleaning; didn't find any problems. The breaker kept tripping. I replaced the breaker (with one of the same rating) and haven't had any more issues.

If possible, replace the dryer vent with "hard pipe" -- that is, with solid (not flexible) metal dryer vent pipe. It will reduce the risk of fire and make the dryer more efficient. The flexible pipe creates a lot of turbulence that slows down airflow and reduces the dryer's efficiency.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

could the flexible ducting make the breaker trip if it first tripped the thermal cut offs?

Quote Originally Posted by tylercc View Post
    could the flexible ducting make the breaker trip if it first tripped the thermal cut offs?
    I would say that this is possible. Think about it, if a corrugated pipe causes turbulence, then air does not flow freely through it. Reduced air speed means higher temps inside the dryer. You get the same thing from longer duct runs too, more resistance to airflow, more back pressure, more heat build up.

Since you have control over the vent, I'd start there, if the problem doesn't correct, then maybe you can get the landlord to change the breaker or at least have the system checked.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

so lets say that I then used a solid metal vent pipe(or some other method) and it does not to trip the breaker, the problem would appear to be solved, meanwhile I end up having a bad thermal cutoff and one day the dryer over heats and starts a fire. would that be possible? should I check the thermal cutoff to be safe? Or am I just thinking too much?

There are those that would say that you can never be too safe. I would say that you need to do what you feel you need to do to feel safe.

If the dryer operates normally with the new duct, who's to say the thermal cut-off isn't already working properly? It cut off with the bad duct, it works perfectly with the new, this would indicate that the problem was indeed duct/heat related and that the cut-off is working properly - at least in my mind.

If the breaker and dryer continue to fault, then, obviously, further study is required.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

so I'am not an expert on thermal cutoffs, but would they even trip if they were bad, or do they trip erratically when they are bad?