+ Reply to Thread

Default Tile Back Splash on Plaster Veneer on Blue Board?

First post here...

I'm mid-stream rehabbing a kitchen. Walls have recently (two weeks ago) been finished with blue board and a plaster veneer/skim coat. We have not yet primed over the plaster. I naively hadn't really thought about the back splash and what it would adhere to, but now have this newly applied plaster layer.

The tile we plan to use will be a basic white ceramic or porcelain subway tile. The back splash will be around 18 inches high in most places, but one section of it will cover the wall from counter top to ceiling, an area about 7 feet wide and 6 feet tall.

Questions:

Can/should I install ceramic or porcelain tile directly to the plaster veneer?

If so, should I use thinset, mastic, or something else? Which is best for the plaster? Which is best for the somewhat novice do it yourselfer?

Thanks for any advice.

Default Re: Tile Back Splash on Plaster Veneer on Blue Board?

You can tile directly to the bare plaster veneer. Use a lightly-modified or unmodified thinset.
    That's what I'd use. Verasbond is one brand.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Also;

Be sure to leave a 1/8" gap between the tiles and the counter, tiles and the cabinets, tile and the window sill, tile and window casing, tile on one wall and the other wall.... you get the idea. This joint is caulked closed. You can get grout matching caulk in sanded, unsanded, shiny or matte in over 300 colors from our buds at www.ColorRiteInc.com

I would waterproof before setting tiles.