+ Reply to Thread

Default Patching Gap On Scupper Downspout

Under the eaves of some of my scuppers the hole cut for the downspouts was done very poorly. There is enough of a gap between the cutout and the downspout that birds -love- to crawl into.

Yes, I could put a piece of chicken wire over it and staple it but that would look UGLY.

My question is... is there a way to (somewhat easily) patch that cutout that will look decent? I guess I can cut a piece of wood to fit the gap, but how would I attach it?

Possibly stupid: is there some exterior version of wallboard patch/tape?

TIA,

--JC

Default Re: Patching Gap On Scupper Downspout

Putty does not like large gaps, especially unstable once such as you describe.

You can fill the hole with something, like foam backer, a rag, wire mesh, etc., however, birds are pretty good at pulling that sort of thing out. I would cut a block, say 4" larger than the downspout, cut it in half, cut the center to fit around the downspout, then screw or nail the block into place around the downspout, finish by painting to match the surrounding area.

As for what to use, I'd use something like 1/4" plywood or sheet metal that isn't going to warp and twist and that won't be a big ugly spot that draws the eye.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks.

I get what you're saying. The trick would be... how to attach this 'patch' piece of wood to the existing bits. There isn't anything to really 'screw into' if you take my meaning. I'd have to cut out a ---bigggg--- piece to have some cross pieces to screw/nail into.

I kinda was hoping there was something akin to how one patches wallboard---either a tape or some other durable material that could bridge both sides together and then be painted over. No such product?

Best,

---JC

Quote Originally Posted by suntower View Post
    Thanks.

I get what you're saying. The trick would be... how to attach this 'patch' piece of wood to the existing bits. There isn't anything to really 'screw into' if you take my meaning. I'd have to cut out a ---bigggg--- piece to have some cross pieces to screw/nail into.

I kinda was hoping there was something akin to how one patches wallboard---either a tape or some other durable material that could bridge both sides together and then be painted over. No such product?

Best,

---JC
    Use sheet metal. Cut the piece as large as you need to be able to attach it firmly. It will all but disappear when painted to match the surrounding area.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!