+ Reply to Thread

Red face Interesting Basement Problem-heaving

So I live in Broomfield CO and we have a benzenite (sp?) issue with our soil, plus the usual clay and sand. Our driveway sank over 2" and we just got that mud jacked back up. However the basement is a whole new issue. So there are two areas where the basement cement slabs (under carpet) are heaving up. The floor next to the walls has not sunk at all. there is an inch different from the wall-floor to ceiling, to the highest heave in the center of the main room from ceiling to floor. There is also a smaller heave in the room to the side and the same area in the washer, dryer, heater and water heater room.
    Do I cut out the middle and use self leveling cement? Do I have it all torn out and repoured? Do I have to have a "floating floor" created?? What I am looking at getting myself into here? I am really hoping to have a option that I am able to do myself. Any ideas?

Default Re: Interesting Basement Problem-heaving

Do you mean "bentonite"? Anyway whatever it is is allowing movement of the soil is under the concrete, so that is where the proper fix should be applied. With unstable soil bases of any kind there are two usual ways to build sans problems- a single monolithic slab under everything which essentially 'floats' or reaching down to the stable bedrock below. Kind of tough to do either there now, so what you need to do is stabilize the soil and redo the slab. A Civil Engineer who is familiar with the geology of the soil where you are will be able to recommend how deep to dig and what type of fill to top the hole with; this will vary from industry standards which are based on more stable soils. You need local help and expertise here; anything we can recommend may not be the right answer for your location.

Phil