+ Reply to Thread

Default Detached garage problem- on low ground

I have a problem I can't seem to find much help with ******. We recently bought an older ranch style home with attached garage. Actually, the place has 3 garages. As you come up the driveway, there is a 2 car detached garage straight ahead at the same level as the house (about 5 feet between the two). To the right is the entry to the attached garage. To the left (straight across from attached garage) is a detached 2 car garage that sits about 4 feet lower then the other two. In a nutshell, if you are standing at the top of our driveway, you have a horseshoe of garages and the newest built one is 4 foot lower then the rest of the buildings. Can you guess what our problem is?? All the water when it rains and snow run off goes straight to the low garage as the driveway slopes that way. Usually 4 or so feet into the garage gets wet. I am not sure what the thinking was when building it.....

The driveway is crushed stone and the gutters are hooked up to rain catches in the ground to shed the water from the house down the driveway. So, a lot of the water gets shed or absorbed by the driveway. We really want to cement the area inbetween the garages. What are some good options for garage #3? Can it be raised to the level of the other buildings? Is it cost effective to do that?

Default Re: Detached garage problem- on low ground

Quote Originally Posted by cfrfirtr View Post
    I have a problem I can't seem to find much help with ******. We recently bought an older ranch style home with attached garage. Actually, the place has 3 garages. As you come up the driveway, there is a 2 car detached garage straight ahead at the same level as the house (about 5 feet between the two). To the right is the entry to the attached garage. To the left (straight across from attached garage) is a detached 2 car garage that sits about 4 feet lower then the other two. In a nutshell, if you are standing at the top of our driveway, you have a horseshoe of garages and the newest built one is 4 foot lower then the rest of the buildings. Can you guess what our problem is?? All the water when it rains and snow run off goes straight to the low garage as the driveway slopes that way. Usually 4 or so feet into the garage gets wet. I am not sure what the thinking was when building it.....

The driveway is crushed stone and the gutters are hooked up to rain catches in the ground to shed the water from the house down the driveway. So, a lot of the water gets shed or absorbed by the driveway. We really want to cement the area inbetween the garages. What are some good options for garage #3? Can it be raised to the level of the other buildings? Is it cost effective to do that?
    Hi, Do you own enough property so you can change the slope? Do you want to raise the other garage to make it look better? Thanks
    Last edited by MtMan54; 03-12-2014 at 10:47 PM.

There are contractors who do exactly that: raise buildings. Call some General contractors in your area to get referrals.

I do not have enough room to change the slope. I can call some local contractors though. I am curious how the ground gets raised. Thanks.

" I am curious how the ground gets raised."

It's called "fill and compact". You may need a permit for this, check with your local bldg dept.