+ Reply to Thread

Thread: noisy bathtub

Default noisy bathtub

We had our bathroom redone last year and a new acrylic tub/shower installed. I asked the contractor if a cement went under the tub and he said no. now our tub squeaks like crazy when standing in the center of the tub. New plywood was installed on the floor first. How can I get rid of the squeaks? Thanks.

Default Re: noisy bathtub

The only way I've ever seen it done is to pull it out and re-seat it with something that will bond it to the floor and absorb the flex in the tub bottom. It's going to undo all the good work you've done. If you have a raised tub, that sits on the floor and has a short wall built across the face of it, you may be able to cut away the drywall or wood face and do something under the tub but it's going to be a pain nevertheless.

Good Luck.

I had the same issue before but our tub had sand underneath. Is your tub moveable? If not, I think you should have it reinstalled and put cement underneath to get rid of the noise.
    Last edited by marf1273; 08-17-2009 at 05:04 AM.

Smile Re: noisy bathtub

I have the same problem, although in my case the tub has cement under it, but not enough and not well distributed (plus I am a big guy). I was considering two options.

1) opening up the access panel / end wall near the faucet (which is in my wife's closet) and adding cement from there in layers to build it up. I would then use hydraulic cement on the last fill because it may expand a bit.

2) the back wall of the tub (the long wall where the towel bar/soap tray is) is against a sheetrock wall in my living room. I thought about taking a 4' wide x 1' high cut out of that drywall at floor level and adding concrete in from there. Again I would use hydraulic cement at the end.

I'm still not sure what to do, but this is what we are considering. Hope this helps. John.

As stated, if you have access under the tub, then you can reach under it and put in mortar or add to the mortar base. I'm not sure how hydraulic cement works, but I would be leery of using any expanding material, as it may apply too much pressure and lift the tub, creating a new problem rather than fixing an old one.

If you don't have access, then going through the wall from the opposite side is an option, particularly if you're going through a closet. If you are going through a visible wall, such as the living room, then the repair of the wall will always be noticeable because it's got a different texture, fewer layers of paint on it, etc.

I've installed mortar bases after the fact, and while not particularly fun, it wasn't a hugely big deal. Create a form around the bowl of the tub that is a little higher than the bottom of the bowl. Mix up your mortar to be on the wet/runny side, but not too wet/runny. You need it to be workable, not like moist sand. Work the mortar into your form until it overflows the form, this will insure good contact with the tub base. Let the mortar cure for 24 hours before using the tub.

Hope that helps.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!