+ Reply to Thread

Default How to paint furniture and keep a polished look without chipping

I have been painting furniture for years. To protect the finish, I use varnish. The varnish though always leaves a yellowish tint. What could I use to protect the paint from chipping and turning yellow?

Default Re: How to paint furniture and keep a polished look without chipping

The furniture I've painted has just been with acrylic and it seems to hold up pretty well if the wood is clean & prepped well.
    Spray lacquer might not yellow as much as varnish.

The water based urethanes varnishes dry crystal clear and remain so. They go on milky, but turn clear as they dry. They also remain clear with time. All the oil based varnishes have an initial amber tone and become more so with age.

Acrylic products don't dry to a hard finish. They retain a gummy feeling, especially when it is damp. Avoid them for fine furniture.

There are now water based alkyd paints and hybrid acrylic/urethanes that dry hard and level nicely. Insul-X Cabinet Paint is one such brand of ybrid. Benjamin Moore Advance is a water based alkyd. These products don't need protective top coats.

Thank you so much. I have been using the oil based one, so I will switch.