+ Reply to Thread

Default 2 rooms united into one 3-way circuit

I ran into an odd situation at work today which we still have yet to figure out how they accomplished the feat;

Two side-by-side closets were wed into one big space. Each set of can lights were operated from a different hot feed, one for each room. We figure at some point the single pole switches were replaced with 3 ways, but the hot feeds remained the same.

There are NO wires from the right set of cans to the left set of cans.

When the power was killed to the right side of the closet, the 3-way switches operated normally, with the left side cans turned on and off as usual. The right side cans never lit. Switch position didn't matter. When power was restored to the right side, the switches and cans all worked normally.

I keep a diagram in my electrical supply box with the 3 variations on wiring 3-way switches, but each diagram has only one feed and one load.

How did they manage to have 2 feeds on one set of 3-way switches ?

Default Re: 2 rooms united into one 3-way circuit

It may be that they are switching the neutrals rather than the hots on the 3-way. It will work but hardly up to code.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Default Re: 2 rooms united into one 3-way circuit

I figured out what they did and why it didn't burn down.

It was two separate rooms on single pole switches.
    They added a 3 way wire between the switches then;
    1- Used the hot and neutral from the left side to power the left side lights through the 3way switch
    2- Used the new hot from the 3 way switch on the right side with the old neutral to power the right side lights. Capping off the hot (yellow cap in picture)

What we did;
    1- Unhooked the right side feed wire and pulled it back to the previous junction.
    2- Hooked the right side to the cans
    3- Unhooked the cans from the left side
    4- Hooked the power to the left side
    5- Jumpered the cans from the right to the left side.
    6- This is in preparation for a wireless central room motion sensor occupancy / vacancy sensor and 2 new (wireless) 3way switches one with a dimmer.