+ Reply to Thread

Default Shutters For Twin Double Hung Windows

The rear window of my home has a twin double hung window with normal size shutters on each side. Obviously there is no function to this since even if they had hinges and weren't purely decorative they couldn't cover the entire width of the window. I wanted to replicate the same look to the front of the house even if it is silly but it got me thinking...are there functional shutters that would be proper for a mulled window and still give the traditional look of shutters? I guess it would have to be some kind of bifold or accordion style in order to be functional but when I search for this I only seem to get results for interior decorative shutters or shutter-style closet doors.
    My advice and opinions come from hands on knowledge...and This Old House Hidden Content

Default Re: Shutters For Twin Double Hung Windows

Bifold shutters were common for coupled windows.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

I dont seem to be getting the expected results when trying to search for bifold shutters. Do they go by a different name or could you maybe suggest a distributor I could buy from? I've also tried searching through local bigbox stores Lowes and Home Depot.
    My advice and opinions come from hands on knowledge...and This Old House Hidden Content

I've seen a number of these in the lower part of my state on 'Plantation houses' near the coast, but the youngest ones were well over 100 years old Something tells me that they were called 'accordion shutters' by the local folks, but don't quote me on that- I ain't been down there in quite some time!

What I found more amazing is how thin the wood window muntins are on those homes- especially considering the hurricanes they have stood up to through the years- with most being far less than 1/2" wide and about as thick with large paned glass in them. Superb wood knowledge and craftsmanship back then

Phil

Maybe Mediterranean style shutters?

Listen,
    You buy the regular wood shutters,total of 1" wider than the opening, and the carpenter rabbets the edges and fits them together with the hinges. The ones I have seen used a special flat hinge with a heavy galvanizing, like the old greenhouse hinges.
    They were surface mounted, not mortised in. The hinges are 95% hidden, and when you close the shutters, they face the glass.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.