+ Reply to Thread

Default Staining dentil molding

Anyone have any advice to make dentil molding easier to stain? I am building a mantel for our fireplace and am not looking forward to putting stain on and between each of those teeth!

Default Re: Staining dentil molding

there's many jobs in the construction industry that there are jut no short cuts for if you want it to look like it was done correctly. that's one of them.

You might want to stain the molding before you install it on your mantle, this will give you best access to not only application, but removal of the stain. Work small areas at a time, so that the stain doesn't sit any longer than you need it to. It's going to take time to work the stain into all the nooks and crannies, even more to get it back out afterward, so only do a few teeth at a time, at least until you find a rhythm that works for you.

Remember, end grain takes stain much more quickly and deeply than side grain, so you may want to practice on scrap until you have your method determined.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks guys, that's what I figured but hoped otherwise!