Default Hard 90 degree angle blocking Auger and Camera Scope in Sewer Line

Hell all,

I have a home built in 1952 that we have been in for four years. Until last week, we have had no issues with slow drains or any back-ups in. We woke up last week to a small back-up in the storm drain in garage but other drains all flowed freely - this was snaked by a local drain/plumbing company with a small aiger and resolved.

The issue came up again 5 days later (today) and moved also to the drain in laundry room during a shower. I called another drain spe******t to come in and while they were on their way I watched as all of the sudden both drains drained quickly as if the block was cleared. Since then, the drains all run quick and no issues - washing machine okay, shower okay, dishwasher okay, all sinks and toilets okay.

Here is my question. I had the sewer line camera scoped four years ago during the purchase of the house and the camera could not get past a hard 90 degree about 25' in from the main clean out in the garage. He tried from a vent pipe on roof, pulled a toilet and another storm drain clean out in basement. All good until the hard angle which he could not get past. There is no outdoor clean out to try from past the point where the camera got stuck.

I had them scope it again today and same result, stuck in the same spot and tried from three different clean out locations. A large auger also got stuck in same position.

Okay - to the question. A recommendation was made to install a clean out in basement passed the point where the drain has the hard 90 degree turn. Does this make sense? Cost quoted about $800-$1200 for work to demo concrete, install cleanout and repair basement floor. However, cost could go up if something more major is found which is understandable. The line was located and runs parallel to the basement wall about 15 inches into the house until it moves through the front yard to the main city sewer line - probably 30 feet to meet the main line.

Any experience with this? I hate to just sit and wait to see if it backs up again as there have been no issues until this week and these did not seem to be major back-ups but twice in one week has me concerned. It cleared up on is own today but who knows when it will come back? Seem like this is the only way to diagnose any problems. All comments welcome and helpful.

Thanks.

Default Re: Hard 90 degree angle blocking Auger and Camera Scope in Sewer Line

You may have a broken line. Even if there is a short turn 1/4 bend both a large snake and camera should be able to make the turn.
    John

That spot, at 25' away is a puzzle. I would dig right there to see what's going on in there. Then make repairs as needed.

A clean out is a good idea too.

These two will give you peace of mind....until the next disaster.

Another point: in the time your house was built, they used a lot of clay main line pipes. Clay pipes break and allow roots easily. Replacing the main line upon cam inspection should be considered.

I do not know the american plumbing codes but in Canada we are not allowed to use 90 degree bends except for under toilets and on vents for this reason that they block up and sometimes are very hard to unblock. There is definitely some thing wrong with your sewer. it will block again. I would open up the sewer and replace the 90 bend with two 45 or four 22.