+ Reply to Thread

Default Septic Odor in house

Can someone PLEASE help me.

First of all I will start out saying that I live in an older mobile home. Recently I had to replace the wax ring in my bathroom toilet because I was smelling these terrible odors through out the house. I thought that this would fix the problem but it didn't. I then had the spetic tank pumped out thinking that this was the problem. But again, the problem still remains. I have been crawling around the house to see if I can find anthing leaking or broken but, I can't find anything wrong.

I noticed, that while being under the house that I can't smell the terrible odor. It seems as though these odors are trapped in between the floor and the underhouse insulation and are being sucked into the house via the heating vents, although I can smell it really strong even when the heat isn't on. I can even smell the while walking around the outside of the house. I just don't know what to do anymore.

Can anyone help me with this? I am desperate to find the problem and fix it.

Thank you!

Default Re: Septic Odor in house

First check that the vent pipe for the bathroom isn't clogged- run water down it from a hose for several minutes; it should not fill up. Keep an eye on things inside as a downstream clog can cause the water from this operation to overflow the sink drains. If that's OK then expose the drain piping under the toilet and find the broken connection or broken pipe. If that's OK then the odor could be coming from other drain/vent systems and you'll need to check them too. Somewhere a vent is clogged or a pipe is leaking and the fix should be obvious. The only other thing I can think of is a "Studor vent" that may not be closing, sometimes there are used on sinks and they are almost always used for sinks in islands. One other thing it my be is a clean-out cap that isn't in place.

Google a bit if you don't understand plumbing systems- they're pretty simple to understand at the basic level and that's where your problem will be found.

Phil

Thank you for your quick and helpful words. I have one question though. Are all older mobile homes vented through the roof or should I be looking under sinks and in the shower stall for shorter vents. Again thank you for your help.
    Last edited by rittertig; 03-10-2014 at 11:06 AM. Reason: spelling and writing

Quote Originally Posted by rittertig View Post
    Thank you for your quick and helpful words. I have one question though. Are all older mobile homes vented through the roof or should I be looking under sinks and in the shower stall for shorter vents. Again thank you for your help.
    Of all the MH's I've worked on, only the newest ones and those with a island-mounted sink used any Studor vents; the rest vent through the roof which is usually a better way. There can be venting problems with older "capped" vents becoming blocked with snow or debris (including bird nests!) because these just barely clear the roof, unlike stick-built homes and newer MH's where the vent is usually an open pipe. I have seen a number of the cheap Studor vents in MH's fail to close. Many were direct-glued to the black ABS drain pipe. Replacements will need a threaded ABS adaptor instead of the usual PVC one in those cases; a plumbing supply house will have that, diunno if the big box stores will.

Phil