+ Reply to Thread

Question All water in house smells of eggs and is orange!

I have a Peacock water system with filter and rock salt. However, I do have a well and it seems that it still smells of eggs and is orange. All the fixtures in the house that are around water is orange and rusty and I just put bleach in the other day and still no change. I am all out of ideas...... can anyone help me with this nasty issue? We can't drink the water and it is turning our clothes orange through the wash. Thanks..

Default Re: All water in house smells of eggs and is orange!

Sounds like you need to add a heavy duty iron filter.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Hi, Are you able to take a sample of the water before the filter to compare them? Does the well have an overflow pipe to keep the water in the well fresh? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MtMan54 View Post
    Hi, Are you able to take a sample of the water before the filter to compare them? Does the well have an overflow pipe to keep the water in the well fresh? Thanks
    Yes I am able to sample the water before the filter. I have no clue if the house has an overflow pipe... how and where can i tell if i have one?

Quote Originally Posted by IrishmanOhio View Post
    Yes I am able to sample the water before the filter. I have no clue if the house has an overflow pipe... how and where can i tell if i have one?
    Hi, The overflow pipe would be in the well not the house. How deep is the well and how many feet down from the surface is the water? Thanks

It's an iron or mineral issue in the well causing this. You can either use an appropriate filtering system or drill deeper and hope that you hit a cleaner supply. If it's iron in large amounts the needed filtering ain't going to be cheap but nothing else will be effective. I have a friend whose well-water is extremely iron-laden so she gets water from a friends house to wash her hair and uses a laundromat, as the system she needs is about $4500 and she can't afford that.

Phil