+ Reply to Thread

Default dishwasher uninstall

i have a guy coming here Tuesday (3/11) to reconfigure the wall that includes my plumbing. He admits to not knowing much about plumbing, and the plan is to take out the current dishwasher which I'll ditch, and create a place for a new one, not yet purchases. Here's the thing. We're going to move the dishwater cavity closer to the sink because where it is now interferes with opening a door to a porch. We discovered that the cld water pipe for the current dishwasher comes up through the basement floor. So. What shall we do to make sure that a plumber will be able to access this pipe for a new dishwasher when I get around to choosing one? Part of the hang-up here is that the new sink was put on back-order which means I either call in a plumber to relocate the pipe, then have him come back later to install the dishwasher and new faucets. That gets expensive.

Should we keep the pipe where it is and make sure the plumber can access it later? Or should we make sure he can access it from under the sink for a new connection? This is way too complicated for my pea brain.

Default Re: dishwasher uninstall

UNless you are going ultra-high end, most dishwashers have their water inlets in the same spots. Your plumber will know how to prep for any potential DW you later select.

Your dishwasher water supply usually branches off the hot water supply under the sink. It's the closest source.

If you have a pipe under the new location for the new dishwasher, your plumber will have to move it.

Generally, you should have the space for the new dishwasher set up and your new dishwasher in the house already, waiting to be put into place. That way you will call your plumber only once.

Yeah, that would have been ideal, to have dishwasher on hand. My problem has been trying to prioritize stuff. I was ready to buy a Bosch when I hear negative stuff about them. Then the sink was put on back-order, and I still haven't decided on faucets. And the guy is coming Tuesday. This kept me awake last night.

Quote Originally Posted by retiredladyteacher View Post
    Yeah, that would have been ideal, to have dishwasher on hand. My problem has been trying to prioritize stuff. I was ready to buy a Bosch when I hear negative stuff about them. Then the sink was put on back-order, and I still haven't decided on faucets. And the guy is coming Tuesday. This kept me awake last night.
    Bosh are very hard to install, they require an elaborate set of services in just the right places. Most other can connect in a variety of ways, also it is hard to install a Bosch under a granite counter because you have to drill very carefully up in to the granite without going through. I usually refuse to drill.

Guess it's a done deal by now, but with the 'contractor' not knowing what to do with the plumbing you should have had him and the plumber both together in the kitchen to discuss this before doing anything else.

Anytime there is more than one trade involved, all of them need to be on the same page from the start with each knowing exactly what all the others will be doing and with each having input on the plans as needed.

Phil