+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Holes in the tile

Hi all,
    I have two small holes in one of the bathroom tiles (plain white) left by the screws after I removed an old towel hook. This is on the side of the wall and not too visible. Don't want to change the tiles but would just like to close these holes with something so that they aren't too visible.
    Any advise?
    Thank you.

Default Re: Holes in the tile

Try Bondo. Then paint over with porcelain touch up paint (sold as a kit in the stores).

I would just use tile grout the same color as the rest of the grout.

I have used grout of the same colour to fill the holes but did not look neat.

Grout and ceramic don't have the same finish. So grouting holes in ceramic tiles will not give the desirable result.

For small holes like these I just fill them flush with caulk that closely matches the tile. The sheen may not match but when the color does they will not be very noticeable. You can either get a matching caulk from colorite or mix two colors of the same type caulk on a palate then apply with a putty knife. Leave the caulk proud of the hole, then after it's completely dry, clean off any excess with a razor blade using a back-and-forth sawing motion which will leave you with a flat and flush plug.

Phil

Honestly... I'd just replace the tiles. This is A LOT easier than you think. I'm assuming the white tiles you have are easy to find at a home remodeling / recycling store used for about $0.25 each.

The tool I like to use for this is a multi-tool. Along with a sawzall, it's probably the most useful all-around tool for remodeling! You can slip it between the tile and the wall and surgically remove the tiles. The other thing you'll find useful which is also a great all-around remodeling tool is a grinder. Careful here, they do tend to kick and require care in operating! You can use the grinder to remove the grout and even chop the tile into little easily removable pieces with it. Just get a masonry blade for it.

Even if you have neither of these tools you can still just pop it out with a hammer, screw driver, pry bar combo. I like to chisel out a section of grout, hit the center of the tile once with a sharp object (screw driver, hammer etc.) to get it to crack up. And then, just pry it out one piece at a time while being careful not to damage the surrounding tiles or dry-wall behind it. If you do damage another one, just rip it out too. No big deal. If you take a small chunk of dry-wall with it, just fill it in with tile adhesive. All total, I can't image more than 15 minutes getting rid of the tile and even less putting in a couple of new ones. It's really not bad.

Just use a little grout but try to find a similar color with your tiles

I had a simialr situation, I used caulk and it's held up just fine for 4 years, you can barely tell there was anything there...

Thank you everybody.
    What kind of caulk did you use - silicon or acrylic or doesn't matter?
    Thanks