+ Reply to Thread

Default Wall to floor tile joint

I am tiling the floor and walls halfway up in my bathroom. What is the order of work to create a beautiful wall to floor joint?

Default Re: Wall to floor tile joint

Install floor first, then wall tile.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Would you use cove base at the bottom of the wall?

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Allpress View Post
    Would you use cove base at the bottom of the wall?
    This is entirely up to you.

There are various ways to do the base, my favorite is 4"x12" bull nose tiles (I cut them from full tiles). You can find them ready to go as well.

Depends on your preference, since you're going half way up the wall, then cove base would not be out of place, neither would a square joint. The tile you choose will affect what you do first. If you do square edge tiles, do the floor first, if you do cove base, you do the base tile run first, then fill in the floor. You will also have to be more careful of your layout, so as not to have slivers of tiles or odd cuts.

I, personally, am not a fan of tiled walls, other than in a shower. General walls that are tiled are very "industrial" or "commercial" looking, and while that is fine in those settings, in a residential bathroom, not so much. IMHO, tile is expensive, and it's a lot of work to put in, you don't want to regret your decisions down the road. Another thing to look at is resale value, what you like isn't necessarily what the masses will like, which means you will effectively be reducing your market pool with your choices. I'm not saying that tiling your walls will affect your homes value, just that "hard" decor such as this are a lot harder and more expensive to change than "soft" decor, such as paint, d****ries, etc.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Cove base has to go in with/ just before the floor tile, not after. Doing that successfully is not covered in tile-setting 101. There are also a number of special trim pieces required, and very few tile lines have the full range of color-matched shapes, so it is not often done any more.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Don't grount the seam between the floor and the wall. If you do, you will end up with cracks in the wall tiles. Use a sanded caulk made for this seam.