+ Reply to Thread

Default How to finish a joint between wall and ceiling where there is some movement

I'm repainting a bathroom where the joint between the wall and the ceiling is subject to movement. The slanted ceiling is on the underside of a pitched roof. The roof flexes under the weight of snow and the occasional repairman; hence the joint between interior wall and ceiling flexes enough so that the existing conventional taped joint, covered with brittle joint compound, has failed with visible separation of the tape and cracks running in and alongside the joint.

Does anyone have a suggestion of how I can prepare this joint so I can paint over it?

I know that some caulks advertise that they can be painted and that the caulk might offer some ability to flex and still span the small gap (varying between 1/8 to 3/8 inch) between wall and ceiling that constitutes the joint. This joint is not over the tub, so there should be no moisture issue to complicate the job.

Thanks in advance
    George

Default Re: How to finish a joint between wall and ceiling where there is some movement

Just because the joint is not above a bath tub doesn't mean there isn't a moisture issue. I wouldn't think there should be that much flex unless there is a structural issue present. You have the option of using trim to add some detail around the room except in this area only nail it to the ceiling, this will allow it to slide loosely along the wall while also covering the gap. A little tricky but it can be done.
    My advice and opinions come from hands on knowledge...and This Old House Hidden Content

Default Re: How to finish a joint between wall and ceiling where there is some movement

Caulk may flex well, but not so paint which will crack and chip away as it loses it's bond from the flexing. Install some trim over the gap as mentioned above and do not caulk it at the bottom, just at the ceiling- then paint as desired.

Phil