+ Reply to Thread

Default Rustoleum Restore vs. Behr Deckover

I am looking to coat a concrete pool deck of approx 700 SF that has a fair number of settlement cracks in it. I've looked at these two products and wonder if anyone has experience with either or both ? It looks like the Deckover product is easier to apply but the Restore is thicker and may be more durable. Can anyone help me chose here ?

Default Re: Rustoleum Restore vs. Behr Deckover

I applied Rust-Oleum Restore to my deck mid August 2013.
    We followed the manufacture's instructions religiously. We also watched their video for product application. We used Rust-Oleum deck cleaner for preparation and their special roller for application.
    Fast forward to March 2014 and this stuff is peeling and cracking everywhere.
    The failure mode is either peeling up in large sheets or it crumbles when you step on it.
    The major problem is that in sections of the deck where it neither peels nor crumbles, its removal is all but impossible without destroying the wood decking.
    The only thing I can do now is pull up the fir decking and either replace it (very expensive) or turn the decking over, put it back down and use a conventional stain (labor intensive).
    Needless to say, "I am not happy".
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRQGdoSwYGQ

Default Re: Rustoleum Restore vs. Behr Deckover

@ n1wv

Seeing that you've posted about this twice and given the results you had, I am wondering how dry the deck was when you applied the coating- did you check it with a moisture meter in several places first? Was it done only after a week of totally dry warm days in the sun?

I've seen plenty of this before and from the symptoms you describe, it seems to me that the deck was too wet to paint- in which case no product would have given you any better results. The few boards it is sticking to were probably dry with the others retaining moisture inside from water ingression into cracks even though they seemed dry on the surface. It's not enough to think wood is dry enough for paint, you must know that for certain or you'll wind up in trouble sooner or later. Waiting on the weather to cooperate can't be rushed and I will not guarantee my work until; I'm satisfied that all the wood is dry enough. With the weather and humidity being what it is here, I don't paint decks- I don't need the worry.

Phil