+ Reply to Thread

Smile How to move an existing cold air duct and heating vent?

My husband is planning on taking down a load bearing wall, between our kitchen and diningroom. There is a cold air duct situated ON the wall on one side (diningroom), and a heat register and vent IN the floor (oak hardwood) on the opposite side of the wall in the kitchen, which he wants to take down. He is not sure how to go about relocating these. We live in a bungalow, and our basement is only partially finished. Do you think my husband could DIY, or is it better to get a professional to do it ???

Can he move them to a closely located interior wall, so on one side he would have the cold air duct (livingroom), and the heating vent on another place in the floor on the kitchen side???

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thankyou!

Default Re: How to move an existing cold air duct and heating vent?

Why are you taking down a bearing wall? What are you planning do to secure the load when the wall is gone?

Aside from the structural issues that need to be addressed above, moving flexible lines is very easy, something that the average DIYr can do themselves. Rigid ducting is a different story, it isn't that a DIYr can't do it, just that it requires more tools and knowledge than the average person has.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Even though I can do darn near everything, I call in speciali$ts for the parts where they can do better, faster, and/or cheaper than me. If hubby can handle the framing work (including supporting where the load-bearing wall is altered properly) then an HVAC guy can do the ductwork relatively cheaply and you will know all is right when all is done.

Phil