+ Reply to Thread

Default Compression Connections on incoming lines

I have a need to put in some copper supply lines and I cannot solder good. Are the compression connections good for supply lines???

Default Re: Compression Connections on incoming lines

you can use SharkBite fittings. i'm not a big fan but i haven't heard any disaster stories about them.

Compression fittings are not that safe. In fact they are only approved for used in accessible areas, they can not be hidden. I would suggest that you get some one that is competant (plummer) to do this work. You could lay it all out for him and then let him solder. Just make sure that you cleaned all fittings and pipes applied paste to both and pushed fitting in to the end of the cup.

Soldering is much more reliable than compression. As close as you can get to perfect. Yet, I've seen solders that failed.

If you prep your pipes and fittings for a plumber to come and solder, make sure the pipes and fittings are all dry. Like BONE DRY.

I have used compression fittings and SharkBite for many years with no issues. I solder when I can or need to and resort to other methods when that works best.

Lately I have turned to PEX with crimp rings. Soldered adapters when necessary.

I don't feel there is any particular worry about any of these methods. Not to say someone will have a disaster, but that happens no matter what you do.

Quote Originally Posted by bill shack View Post
    Compression fittings are not that safe. In fact they are only approved for used in accessible areas, they can not be hidden. I would suggest that you get some one that is competant (plummer) to do this work. You could lay it all out for him and then let him solder. Just make sure that you cleaned all fittings and pipes applied paste to both and pushed fitting in to the end of the cup.
    This is what I have been considering. Thanks

Good choice, just get a plumber you can work with, one who won't complain about your work. However, if you prepare everything on a pro grade level, the plumber will have nothing to b---h about, but the weather.