+ Reply to Thread

Default Attic Insulation, Roof, and Icicles

About 4 years ago I had the vaulted ceiling in the master bedroom changed to a traditional tray ceiling. I made this decision because the room was always cold and difficult to heat during the winter.

During the construction, I asked the contractor if it was necessary to open up the entire attic (remove the original wall board) and reinsulate the space. They did not insulate the new framing. The contractor sort of chuckled at my question and said it didn't matter. It seemed to me that this additional air space would retain too much heat.

The first winter after this change I noticed a lot of icicles forming on my gutters at the roofline of this bedroom. This occurred with temperatures in the 20's which lead me to believe the attic space is indeed too warm causing the snow on the roof to melt. I keep my thermostat at 68 degrees.

I originally thought my gutters were clogged but that theory has been ruled out.

I am very concerned that there may be an ice dam and moisture leaking into this attic space. I did a visual inspection and did not see any water damage nor do I know who to contact to resolve this issue.

Any advice will be appreciated!
    Last edited by NEgalNH; 03-04-2014 at 03:26 PM.

Default Re: Attic Insulation, Roof, and Icicles

Quote Originally Posted by NEgalNH View Post
    About 4 years ago I had the vaulted ceiling in the master bedroom changed to a traditional tray ceiling. I made this decision because the room was always cold and difficult to heat during the winter.

During the construction, I asked the contractor if it was necessary to open up the entire attic (remove the original wall board) and reinsulate the space. They did not insulate the new framing. The contractor sort of chuckled at my question and said it didn't matter. It seemed to me that this additional air space would retain too much heat.

The first winter after this change I noticed a lot of icicles forming on my gutters at the roofline of this bedroom. This occurred with temperatures in the 20's which lead me to believe the attic space is indeed too warm causing the snow on the roof to melt. I keep my thermostat at 68 degrees.

I originally thought my gutters were clogged but that theory has been ruled out.

I am very concerned that there may be an ice dam and moisture leaking into this attic space. I did a visual inspection and did not see any water damage nor do I know who to contact to resolve this issue.

Any advice will be appreciated!
    Hi, Ice dams are only a symptom of a much bigger problem and they are caused by heat loss. You need to make a choice between fixing the symptom or the bigger problem. You can fix the heat loss and lower your heat bill and stop the ice dams or vent the heat loss in the attic to the outside and spend more for heat and stop the ice dams. Thanks

Default Re: Attic Insulation, Roof, and Icicles

Do I understand you correctly, you are loosing too much heat, so you pay for a tray ceiling but don't insulate it? You don't need to remove the old insulation or sheetrock but you do need to insulate the heck out of the tray ceiling. That alone should lower your attic temp enough to solve the problem, but if it doesn't, then add a vent to the new attic space.

When the contractor put in the new ceiling and left the old work up, he didn't inadvertently plug up the ventilation for that system did he? If so, that maybe why you are having the issues now.
    Last edited by keith3267; 03-05-2014 at 12:25 AM.