+ Reply to Thread

Question How to deal with an old plaster, painted wall.

I live in a 100-year-old row home, in which we recently tore down the ceiling and plaster walls of one room. In an adjoining room, we did not tear down the walls, but thought that we would instead sc**** the paint off of the plaster walls, patch up the walls as necessary, and repaint. That was a bad idea, but it's now too late to tear down the whole wall.
    Scraping the paint off is time-consuming and painful, and I'm wondering what else we can do to avoid it, as we're only about half-way through. I was thinking of putting a thin piece of drywall over the existing wall, but my husband thinks that the plaster wall is not strong enough to hold drywall. (I don't know if it matters, but behind one wall in particular is a brick wall between our house and the adjoining one.) I also thought of just doing a textured paint job, hoping that the areas that have and have not been sc****d would not show, but I really don't want textured paint.
    Are there any other alternatives, particularly for non-handy people such as my husband and I? Would the drywall be a decent option? Should we just use a chemical paint stripper and then vacate the house for a few days? What about using heat to sc**** off the paint -- does that help?

Default Re: How to deal with an old plaster, painted wall.

#1. you have to be a licensed lead paint remover to use heat to remove lead paint. it's dangerous so don't do it yourself.

#2. you can go over the walls with 3/8" sheetrock, that's a good alternative. you just have to make sure you screw the drywall into the studs. the plaster alone won't hold it. then all the electrical will have to be extended out to meet the new wall.

#3. you can hire a plasterer to come in and put a bonding agent on the walls then skim coat them with a fresh coat of plaster. that's my first choice short of gutting the room to the studs.

It's not too late to ditch the hard labor of scr-aping the old paint. Choose #3 above and end your misery. Any other solution will only get you complaining.

#2 is good too, except the brick wall.

Other options would be to skim with a good Restoration Plaster or Venetian Plaster like Master of Plaster.
    Other veneer products American Clay Plaster.No bonding agents required with the above.
    Look at the synthetic plaster like Variance Acrylic Finishes check the following finishes by Variance Alto Smooth , Tierra or Anciano all can be applied over existing plaster and paint. They also come in colors no painting required.
    Last look in to Plaster in a Roll applied like wall paper but it is a plaster product.

Clarence, are those options that an amateur can do, or would it require hiring a professional?

Quote Originally Posted by Clarence View Post
    Other options would be to skim with a good Restoration Plaster or Venetian Plaster like Master of Plaster.
    Other veneer products American Clay Plaster.No bonding agents required with the above.
    Look at the synthetic plaster like Variance Acrylic Finishes check the following finishes by Variance Alto Smooth , Tierra or Anciano all can be applied over existing plaster and paint. They also come in colors no painting required.
    Last look in to Plaster in a Roll applied like wall paper but it is a plaster product.

The Master of Plaster is very easy to apply if you can apply dry wall mud the plaster would be very east to get smooth.
    The synthetic products may be harder for a DIYer to apply but again if you can do drywall mud it is about the same.