+ Reply to Thread

Default Unused paint disposal

Hi all,
    I work at a community college in northeast Indiana, we have a sizable amount of mostly latex paint. We've been told by our paint supplier " the expiration for paint is 1 year if the container is open and 2 years if unopened". Is this true or is that just away to get more business? Also if that is true then I have like I said a sizable amount of paint I can't use. I talked to our waste/ recycle company, they said if the paint is dried in the container I can just put it in the dumpster. I have a little problem with having a large amount of 1 gal. or 5 gal. buckets of dried paint sitting in the landfill. I was thinking I saw a show with the TOH guys talking about recycling paint and there was a company or some companies that recycle unused paint. Was I dreaming or is this true? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks so much, William

Default Re: Unused paint disposal

Many municipalities offer paint collection/disposal at no cost. Find out if your city offers that. It could be under haz-mat collection.

And to answer your question about paint going bad: there are a few factors to consider.

The type of paint, the storage location, the lid, and so on.

I've stored paints before, and in some instances used them more than a year later, and they were as good as new. In other instances they were not. No rules here. Cleaning excess paint off the can opening will help. A plastic over the can opening before you put the lid down and hammer it tight, will help too.

With price of paint reaching the moon, squeezing every drop of paint from an open can makes sense.

Storing the paint in a cool location without much temperature change (my basement) seems to help too. Again a good seal on the can should help. I've had cans start to rust with the paint still seeming to be good, but can't use because of rust.
    My county has free hazmat collection that includes paint a few times only a year.
    I believe somebody makes an additive for paint that will harden it for disposal with regular trash. I never used it or know who makes it.

As was stated, most decent sized municipalities have hazmat drop off points. If you do not, then call your county clerk and ask them where you can drop off your stuff.

If the paint is still in decent shape, how about donating it to a local theater? Their needs for paint do not require "fresh" or durable, so long as the paint has not coagulated, dried up, molded, or full of rust, they may be willing to take it from you.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Hi all,
    I appreciate all your help, I still think I saw one of the TOH shows that mentioned a company that took unused paint and reused it. I was able to get hold of Habitat for Humanity, they are going to come out to see what we have. They said as long as the paint isn't to old, so persistence pays off.
    Thanks again, William